Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Catalytic & Banks questions

I'm thinking my Catalytic convertor is toast. I have zero power over 3,000 rpm. Motor runs fine but now power up top. It's a Ford V10.

Have any of you had to replace your cat's and was this a similar symptom?

That said, I'm thinking of the Banks power pack and is $2k which is a chunk of change for me. Any of you out there have this installed in your V10 and your thoughts please.
Thanks
Zoli
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There have been a number of threads on here regarding Banks systems. You might want to try a search at the top of the page. You will not come away with a solid answer. A lot has to do with the application. I had a full Banks, including Transcommand on my class c, which had the 2 valve V-10. I would never do it again. Too much money for little return in my case. I never felt there was a power increase and MPG actually dropped a bit. But, you will find lots of folks love their systems. My current class a, has the 362 hp, 3 valve V-10 and even though it weighs 6K lbs more than the c, I feel it performs better than that did, with the Banks.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the full Banks Power Pak system, headers, cat back exhaust, transcommand, computer chip, and intake tube and filter. The only thing I would do again is the headers. I did gained a couple MPH going south on the 241 from the 91 to Windy Ridge. Did get a slight MPG increase, but not enough to justify the cost. I took the MH to Banks in Azusa to have them install the headers. Before I took it to them, I was told they normally can't install the headers on National RV's because of the National Duraframe. Will, they didn't do the install "because they won't fit with the Duraframe". Once I got it home looked at why the headers wouldn't fit. The only interference was a corner of the angle iron web that hit the headers on the right side. Cut the corner off and installed the headers myself. Banks wouldn't do it because on liability, which I understand.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Zoli,

While a plugged exhaust will cause your lack of power, so will a dirty fuel filter or weak fuel pump. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

I would hook up a fuel pressure test gauge and take it for a drive. PSI should stay in the upper 30's.

If you really want headers, there are less expensive brands.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogman View Post
I'm thinking my Catalytic convertor is toast. I have zero power over 3,000 rpm. Motor runs fine but now power up top. It's a Ford V10.

Have any of you had to replace your cat's and was this a similar symptom?

That said, I'm thinking of the Banks power pack and is $2k which is a chunk of change for me. Any of you out there have this installed in your V10 and your thoughts please.
Thanks
Zoli
Details...how many miles on your MH? Does your exhaust have a smelly raw or burnt fuel odor? Its 13+ years old so it may be time for a HF cat. If it passed Ca. smog them the Cat is ok.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do go with headers, which ever brand you get make sure they correct the Ford engineers u-turn they make the exhaust do. Take a look at the exhaust where the header pipe connects just in front of the cat. All the V10's including pickups had the same exhaust from 99 to 2004 or 2005. Also make sure you compare apples to apples. Some of the cheaper headers will have thinner flanges and tubes and steel or stainless steel material. Thinner flanges will warp and thinner tubes will burn out sooner.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat