Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Changing Belts on CAT 300

I have a 2001 Tradewinds on a freightliner chassis with a CAT 300 3126 and am thinking about changing out the Fan belts. Two questions;

1. Has anyone done this themselves?

2. If so, how did you do it?

It sure don't look like a walk in the park.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced mine using the following directions from the CAT RV Club files. It took me about 2 hours.

Replacement of Serpentine and Water Pump Belts
2002 Freightliner Chassis
w/ CAT 3126E
  • Gain access to the belt area by removal of necessary flooring.
On 2002 Discovery 37T, remove closet floor.
  • Working from the top of the engine, install a 1/2" Breaker Bar in the tension adjuster’s face, (there is a 1/2"square opening).
  • Move Breaker Bar to left in order to relieve tension on the Serpentine belt.
  • While holding the Breaker Bar to the left, remove the Serpentine belt from the Alternator pulley, and then move Breaker Bar to right until all tension is off the adjuster.
  • With the Serpentine belt off the Alternator pulley, it will now be possible to remove the belt from all the pulleys, and thread it through the fan blades for complete removal.
  • The tension adjuster is mounted directly above the belt for the Water Pump, and must be moved outward in order to remove the Water Pump belt. In order to do this, loosen the tension adjusters mounting bolt, using a 5/8” box end or socket wrench. It is not necessary to completely remove the tension adjuster, only loosen it until enough clearance is gained to clear the water pump belt.
  • Working from below the engine, loosen the Water Pump’s tension adjustment locking bolt, using a 1/2" deep well socket, or an offset box-end wrench. This bolt is on the pulley-mounting bracket; however, it is behind the Crankshaft Damper and a bit hard to gain access to.
  • Once the adjustment bolt is loose, it will be possible to rotate the tension pulley bracket to free up the Water Pump belt, and it can be removed from the Water Pump, and worked over the Crankshaft Damper.
  • Install a new water pump belt, making sure to position it in the correct pulley slot on the Crankshaft, and then work it over the Water Pump and the tension pulley.
  • From the bottom of the tension pulley’s bracket, insert the head of the breaker bar into the slot in the pulley housing, and apply tension on the Water Pump belt, while tightening the adjustment hold down bolt with the 1/2" wrench. When there is sufficient tension on the belt, make sure to tighten this bolt tight, or the Water Pump belt may slip in operation.
  • After replacing the Water Pump belt, tighten the mounting bolt for the Serpentine belt tension adjuster using the 5/8” wrench. (See step 6)
  • Work the new Serpentine belt over the fan blades, and position it in the proper groove in the Crankshaft pulley. Then, move the 1/2" Breaker Bar to the left and thread the serpentine belt behind the tension adjuster, over the Compressor and Alternator pulleys and under the upper idler pulley.
  • Release the tension on the adjuster, and inspect the Serpentine belt to insure it is in the proper grooves on the Crankshaft pulley, as well as the Compressor and Alternator.
  • Run engine to test for proper installation.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Joe

Dan and I want to have the course on the first of Aug. a cancled check isn't gonna cut it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Dick
Old 05-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, I'll bring an extra set of belts. Practice makes perfect!
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
This is some serious stuff guys. Have you looked up or down at where the thingees are located. I can't even see if the belts are in need of replacing. The only way to replace these as I see it is drop the radiator and CAC (what is a CAC) and then drop the fan shroud. From there it looks like a cake walk.
Ofcourse there is an easier way, call my local FreightLiner and make an appointment.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Aw come on guys it isn't that bad. All you need are a few simple tools and 8 ft arms. If a busted up old man like me can do it anyone can.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brian, you should join us for the "Great National RV Orphan Rally, Bratwurst Fry and Skeeter Fest" the end of July. With your expertise and Joe's willingness for punishment, we could sell tickets.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
OK, here's the problem.

I have an engine access panel between the rear closet and the bed and when open it gives you a great view of the top and rear of the engine.
On the 2001 7390 the bed slides out with the slide. There is maybe 18" of width on the access panel. To gain more view of the fan belt area I would need to open the closet, remove the rug and what ever is between that and the engine. I don't see how a service facility is even going to do it short of removing the radiator and CAC.

I read Brian's response but it was geared for a Fleetwood Discovery.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I posted the Discovery directions because the mechanics are the same. On my 04 National Tropi-cal I have the slide that extends the bed out on the drivers side. Once the bed is extended I have an access panel in front of the closet which is across the back of the coach. The access panel measures roughly 16"X33". By laying on my stomach I can reach in and place the breaker bar in the hole in the tensioner and then push it enough to remove the tension on the belt enough to remove the belt from the alternator (this is where the 8 ft arms come in) . After that it is just a matter of fishing the belt over the fan blades one at a time. Changing the water pump belt is then done from the bottom. The biggest problem is figuring out which wrenches will fit in the various spots and finding the bolts. After doing it once I could probably get this down to less than an hour. Of course I have never been in a Tradewinds so yours may be laid out a little different.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
AHA, down to an hour, huh? OK, Brian so would you be willing to be the first official Seminar Representative at the first Rally of the Orphans? I'm willing to furnish the tools, belts and MH, that would just leave your 8' arms.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately by that time of the year those of us with webbed feet have to be in a climate where the temperature never gets much above 70 and it still rains at least once a week. A true Oregonian has to make sure the moss does not die on his North side. Right now we are in the Thousand Trails park in Las Vegas if you happen to be in the area.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #12

It is really no big deal. If replacing the serpentine only, you can do it in about 10 minutes. I have done it on the side of the road before. Thread it from the top underneath the bed, go below and release the tension with a 1/2" ratchet and pull the belt on. Have never removed the water pump belt, but have tightened the tension some. LOL Trooper stopped and ask me if I needed help. Started to ask him if he knew how to put a belt on. LOL In replacing some bearings, I have removed it several times since.

I read what I typed. Got the cart ahead of the horse. Reverse the procedure for removing the old belt first. LOL
Old 06-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #13

Well, I must have made you guys mad saying how easy it is. LOL What you need to do is get some practice with the unit in the yard. Can't ever tell when a belt is going to break on the road. I inspected mine, left the next day, got 100 miles up the road and the belt broke. No visible cracks at all on it. This is when I learned how to install a belt. Not a good time sitting on the side of the interstate.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Hey Jerry, you didn't make me mad, the DW has been out of town and left this big DANG honey do list. I did manage to get the radiator cleaned on the MH in between the rain and cold spells we've been getting in the Salt Lake Valley.
I just had a great thought, come join us on The Orphan Rally in New Mexico end of July. Come join me, Dick and Dan for a few days. I will yield to the Ole Experianced One on doing the Show and Tell on our very first Seminar. What else are you going to be doing that could possibly be as much fun as this. I will offer up the use of my beloved Tradewinds for the exhibition. Now in the event if I should lose the belt on the way to the big event I'm sure the wife will allow me to use some old panty hose to replace the belt until we arrive.
So, what say you?? Are you in??
Besides, last I heard Dick and Dan are bringing paint brushes to paint my coach and I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you brought your brush to join in also.
Last I heard there were spots still open, even with elect.
See you there,
Joe