Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
bkb

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chassis Battery drain

Hello All.....We are having an issue with the chassis battery draining after about 3 days when in storage. We have turned everything off and doubled checked. My first thought is the step? Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks for any input much appreciated!

I guess I should add: 2003 Dolphin 5320
bkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you haven't already done so, turn off your inverter. When left on & not using your generator, it will drain your house batteries in about two days. Only turn it on when not connected to outside alternating current (AC) source or running generator AND needing alternating current (AC). I personally never turn mine on as we don't boondock.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, reread your post after I submitted my response. I see that you're having a problem with your chassis battery, not your house batteries. I'll let someone else address your issue.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

Could be a lot of things. Easiest answer is to put in a battery disconnect.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
In our '05 Dolphin, the BOMB (Box Of Many Buttons) was hard wired to the chassis battery. I have installed a (house stile) off/on switch and organized several of the DC circuits into a screw post buss connector that the switch controls. When I put the MH in storage, in addition to hitting the "Battery is connect" switch, I turn the (now) Dc power switch off so that the things associated with the BOMB are off. I usually have shore power to the MH at all times so I have a float charger on the chassis battery. Another equally isolating strategy is to use the chassis disconnect switch (red handle in horizontal "on" position in the picture) if you have one. If you do it will close to the chassis battery and connected to the positive cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7139.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	129110  
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would be willing to bet it is your dash radio. There is a long history of that being the cause of chassis battery draining in several different brands. Takes about three days for the battery to die. Made us crazy for a good six months before the problem was diagnosed.

To test if this is causing your problem, fully charge your battery and then pull the fuse to the dash radio and see what happens.

In our case, we decided to leave the radio fuse out altogether since we never use the dash radio. It was suggested to us we could put a disconnect switch on the radio, but instead we also installed a battery disconnect switch on the chassis battery, and we still carry a trickle charger and battery cables (just in case).
Old 06-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
bkb

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all your help. We are confident that your answers will solve our issue.
bkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Put a disconnect switch on each battery and problem will be solved.. Step,radio and lp gas all can drain battery. I have a disconnect switches set up on all my batteries and also a battery minder hooked up each of them. If I have AC, the batteries are being desulfated and charging. I am getting around 11- 14 years on my Motorhome and boat batteries.

Wayne
Old 08-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #9

Post 2007 SeaBreeze LX Chassis Battery Drain

Our 2007 SeaBreeze LX came with a Xantrex Freedom 458 10 Inverter/Charger. With the Inverter off, this unit charges the house batteries when the coach is connected to AC power. As I recall, it also charged the chassis battery since we could leave it stored for 3 months with AC plugged in without house or chassis batteries running down. Just had to keep battery water up.

Now, with AC connected, the house batteries stay charged but the chassis battery goes down to less than 10 volts in about 2 weeks. And no, no radio, light, or other power user left on.

I'm now using a step trickle charger to keep chassis battery up but would like to do without that if possible.

Question? Maybe my recollection is bad and the Xantrex never did charge the chassis battery, or did something fail in the comparator circuitry? Do any of you have a SeaBreeze with a Xantrex that charges the chassis battery in addition to the house batteries? Any answer/suggestion much appreciated.
JimdeVos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
How old is the battery? It's possible you just have an old battery.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

Battery is 16 months old. Replaced both chassis and house batteries at the same time.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #12

bkb,

I had the same issue but in my case it took a bit longer. There is a phantom current draw somewhere and it's possible it is the computer for the chassis. I finally got tire of running battery dead as that will ruin the battery to a point where it will not recover. The simplest and best solution is to install a chassis battery disconnect. There are many different ones out there, here is the one I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Batt...connect+switch

Very simple to install.

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #13

Thanks. Will look into disconnect switch but need to figure out where to locate it. For now, I'm simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal. In the SeaBreeze there is very little room - batteries are located underneath the hinged entrance step as you come into the door and there is no room on top of the batteries when the hinged step is down.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I attached a knife blade disconnect switch on the neg. post works great.

Amazon has this unit for side mount battery posts.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disco...ery+disconnect

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis