RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chassis Battery Charging

I feel silly even asking this but my chassis battery is at 11.2V and won't start the Motorhome. The coach batteries are fine but the boost switch doesn't seem to work either. When plugged into AC, the chassis battery does not seem to be charged.

Is it OK to put a battery charger on the chassis battery?

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, you can pit a battery charger on it. Sounds like maybe a bad battery - unless there was something you left on to run it down, has been sitting for a long time, etc. How old is the battery?

The chassis battery may not get charged when on shore power, not all coaches do this.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
When plugged into shore power, the chassis battery will charge when the house batteries are fully charged.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Yes, you can pit a battery charger on it. Sounds like maybe a bad battery - unless there was something you left on to run it down, has been sitting for a long time, etc. How old is the battery?

The chassis battery may not get charged when on shore power, not all coaches do this.
We just got it in December, so I'm not sure how old the battery is. I unplugged it from shore power about 1 weeks ago, so I'm guessing I need a new battery. I don't think I left anything on. After about an hour of charging it started right up. I will probably try determine if anything is powered that I'm not aware of before I buy a new battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
When plugged into shore power, the chassis battery will charge when the house batteries are fully charged.

Fred
Good to know! The house batteries were not full so that explains why the voltage was so low even after I connected to shore power. I may try one of those solar trickle chargers for when I'm not connected to shore power.

Thanks guys!
Jim
Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Typically one or two weeks or more should not bring down a chassis battery, unless something is drawing on it. suggest to Doyle check all is turned off. I had a underhood light that I did not know I had, and it got turned on. Would run down the battery and in daylight could not be seen to be on... Storage bay lights can be similar culprits as well.

Often there is a date code or tag on the battery that will help to determine age.

Glad you got it going. Suggest to get a full charge on it and monitor to see if reoccurs.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #6

FYI, you may wish to consider inserting one of these disconnect switches in-line to you coach battery. We had a auto-stair entry lamp "on" when the stairs were extended that was draining out our battery when RV stored. Blue Sea, Part #9004e, $49. Buy two as it works great for adding maintenance-free worries for batteries when RV being stored + adds security feature if you put one in-line with engine battery. Note: look around your coach for mounting spot-- you can likely place on bulkhead in storage box (that is adjacent to your battery box under stairs): Blue Sea Systems e-Series 9004e Single Circuit Battery Switch w/AFD - Overton's
Wife like the switch installations too as they are simple to use with clearly labeled ON/OFF indicator markings. I also had local trophy shop make us two red plastic 2" x5" signs that read "Engine BATT" and "Coach BATT" to eliminate any possible confusion. Good luck!
Paul-Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Before tossing out the batteries, I suggest you clean all cable connections, including ground connections. Also after batteries are charged and have sat for a few hours do a specific gravity test with the 'turkey baster' type tester, available at most auto parts stores for under $10. Since your boost switch didn't work and you're having battery charging issues, it points to the solenoids that are supposed to connect the two systems for boost and possibly charging, according to how your RV is wired.

Parasitic power draws are not uncommon in a stored RV. Engine ECU, radio memory, etc. can draw down chassis batteries. LP gas detector, step electronics, bedroom radio, thermostat can all drain house batteries. The only sure way to store without shore power or 15-30 watt solar charger is to disconnect the batteries.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Found the problem

I discovered why my chassis battery was not charging. There was a blown 1 Amp fuse on the "12V Power Dist Center" board in the front passenger side compartment. There is a cover held on with 4 screws you must remove to access the board. The battery voltage had been as low as 9.6V, hopefully it was not damaged. Replaced the fuse and left overnight, and the voltage was 13.5 and now it starts right up!

Board is located in front passenger side basement.

I believe this was the fuse (F32)

This was the fuse (1 AMP)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
A common problem is bad contacts inside the solenoid, they arc and get pitted over time, and the original solenoid is not good quality. The charger current should flow to the chassis battery once the house batteries are charged. A replacement battery will eventually suffer from the same demise. Replace with a good quality USA made solenoid, this is what I used.
http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/168/24059/

See my post #753442.
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404145852.777830.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  26.7 KB
Old 06-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Make sure it is a continuous duty solenoid.

Tags
chassis, battery, charging