Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chassis dash AC thermostat

I have a sticking AC thermostat. The dash AC does not come on until I tap on the thermostat with the handle of a screwdriver. My diagnosis is that the thermostat is bad. I do not see how to change the sensor tube with out taking the whole evaporator case out. A local dealer says he will do it but the bill will be over $1000. There has to be an easier way to change the part without taking the evaporator out. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the case but then I am still not sure if I can install the sensing tube. Do any of you replace the part and how did you do it? I have placed this message on another forum but no replies. Thanks

08 Dolphin on WorkHorse W24
LeeSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 12:02 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You talking about the thermostat to prevent the evaporater from freezing over? If you are just bypass it. When using the AC you notice the cool air flow from the vents reducing turn the control to vent to melt the frost off the fins. If the air flow is good the the AC system has the correct refrigerant charge you shouldn't have to do very often.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:13 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What a great idea. Problem solved. Thanks

Old 12-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies. You gave me a new idea but jumping the tstat is the way I will go since I am the only one who ever drives the RV and I can easily tell when it is icing up if that will ever happy in an RV. I might also do this: I will buy a stat from anything and wrap the sensing tube tight around the suction line right where it goes into the evapator and wrap prestige tape around all of it. You guys saved me at least a $1000 bucks. Thanks again--my problem solved!!!

Old 08-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #5

How is it now?

Just checking in to see if the bypass works the way you want?

The reason I ask is that our AC thermostat seems to be the issue with the Dash AC unit. If I go unplug a wire from the thermostat usually the AC starts working again. Then after a while it goes OFF (no cool are) and will not come ON again until I stop and go mess with the wires again. PITA.

I guess I can short the two wires together and get AC???

thanks for reading the comment.

G.

Tags
chassis, dash, thermostat