Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Coach Battery wiring diagram

I have a 2004 Dolphin Class A that i have new coach batteries for, unfortunately I am uncertain how to complete the battery hookup, two 6 volts in series , my problem is I don't know which terminals ( pos or neg) the permanent coach cables should be attached to ? Help , anyone ?
Don Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This should help.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

It would have been better if you had taken a photo before removing the old batteries or at least made a paper drawing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a VOM meter which has a continuity mode, simply set it up for continuity and place one lead of the meter on one cable end and the other lead to a known GOOD part of the Chassis frame to see which cable has continuity to ground. That one will be your negative cable. The other one will be your positive cable.

My DVOM meter has a tone mode for continuity checking and when I hear the tone I know that the connection has continuity.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

Thanks again Richard , I know that should have solved my problem however both leads show continuity to ground, perhaps there is an Ohm value that would identify the ground cable ?. I really appreciate your good advice and patience . Thank you very much.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard.

You may have to follow the cables by hand to find the one that attaches to the frame, that will be your ground. Best of luck in a solution.

Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Name:   bmseriesparallel.gif
Views: 3106
Size:  3.9 KB

Late to the party I see, but this diagram I keep with my batteries. Along with a schematic for 12v wiring fuses in the battery compartment.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

Thumbs up 2004 Dolphin coach battery hookup problem

Yay ! I got them hooked up correctly, thank all of you guys who helped me out. I eventually got a VOM with adjustable sensitivity and was able to locate the proper neg and pos cables . Whew ! I have had class C 's before , this is our first class A . A great coach, well appointed and drives like a dream. Chevvy Vortec with a 5 spd Allison tranny. Anxious to hit the road for the Sunny Southland. Happy trails to all. I look forward to visiting iRV2 often as we travel. Dead Stick Don
Old 09-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
NJS42
Out of dumb curiosity is that diagram accurate for a 2 batt system by just deleting 2 opposing batt?
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes. This is six volt series. As long as you hook them up in series you get twelve volts, as usual always apply a volt meter before you hook into your system.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Attachment 74998

Late to the party I see, but this diagram I keep with my batteries. Along with a schematic for 12v wiring fuses in the battery compartment.
If you want maximum life out of your batteries don't use this wiring diagram. The connection to the charger and house should not be connected to the same 12V equivalent battery. One connection should be to the first 12V equivalent battery in the bank. The other connection should be to the last 12V equivalent battery in the bank.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post

If you want maximum life out of your batteries don't use this wiring diagram. The connection to the charger and house should not be connected to the same 12V equivalent battery. One connection should be to the first 12V equivalent battery in the bank. The other connection should be to the last 12V equivalent battery in the bank.
Please provide a drawing of what you are stating. I am having a hard time visualizing the schematic.

Thanks,

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Don glad you got it figured out. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Please provide a drawing of what you are stating. I am having a hard time visualizing the schematic.

Thanks,

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard,

Look at the methods and descriptions in at this link.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Method #2 is what I was describing. It doesn't cost an extra penny over method #1, which was illustrated. I have seen method #1 used in some high end RVs and it makes no sense. Method #1 guarantees uneven battery charging and discharging thereby shortening battery life.

Personally, I use method #3. The yachting industry uses method #3 for its electrical value and ease of isolating a bad battery. This isn't for everyone and probably is of questionable value unless you have more than 2 or 3 12V equivalent batteries.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post

Richard,

Look at the methods and descriptions in at this link.

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank

Method #2 is what I was describing. It doesn't cost an extra penny over method #1, which was illustrated. I have seen method #1 used in some high end RVs and it makes no sense. Method #1 guarantees uneven battery charging and discharging thereby shortening battery life.

Personally, I use method #3. The yachting industry uses method #3 for its electrical value and ease of isolating a bad battery. This isn't for everyone and probably is of questionable value unless you have more than 2 or 3 12V equivalent batteries.
Gil,

Thanks for the link and the diagrams. I got it now and understand what you are stating.

Thanks again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
battery, wiring, wiring diagram