Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #1

commode replacement

we have a 32 ft national seabreeze and the bathroom is so small, the commode is in the room with the shower...there is barely 12'' in front of the commode to get in and out of the full size tub... it looks as if our commode was not placed back as far against the back wall as it should go...moving it back would give us another 6-8 inches which would really help...my question....can this be done...is there an offset piece that could be used like those used in homes?????any help would be appreciated .....also how difficult is it to remove and replace the toilet???

question 2: has anyone tried cutting down the fiberglass tub side so that it can be more easily stepped into...like leaving a 4 inch lip like a shower...i have really bad arthritis and getting into this tub to shower is a job....
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
edj

I would think that moving the commode back would be a relatively big project. In addition to having to move the water and drain pipes, you would have to fill the existing hole in the floor and reinforce it. I don't know what would be involved with cutting the tub, but I would think that would also be a big project to get it so it looked good and did not leak.

The following is not knocking you, but advice to all people looking at an RV to buy. The best thing you can do is go through all the motions of daily living in the RV before buying. Get in the shower and go through the motions of washing. Sit on the commode and go through the motions of that activity. I don't know how many RV's we looked at where I bumped my head when trying to wipe..... Go through the motions of brushing your teeth to see if there is enough room. In the kitchen, go through the motions of preparing a meal and the cleanup after. Actually doing the activities will show up faults in the design.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

When we bought our coach, we really looked it over carefully to make sure we were making the right decision on floor plan. Our previous many years of experience told us we really knew what we were doing. WRONG!!! The first time my wife sat on the toilet after we took delivery, she discovered her feet were six inches off the floor.

Solution: I built a foot stool that was tall enough to rest her feet on. It travels in the shower stall.

Bob, wa7hra..........
Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I would think that moving the commode back would be a relatively big project. In addition to having to move the water and drain pipes, you would have to fill the existing hole in the floor and reinforce it. I don't know what would be involved with cutting the tub, but I would think that would also be a big project to get it so it looked good and did not leak.

The following is not knocking you, but advice to all people looking at an RV to buy. The best thing you can do is go through all the motions of daily living in the RV before buying. Get in the shower and go through the motions of washing. Sit on the commode and go through the motions of that activity. I don't know how many RV's we looked at where I bumped my head when trying to wipe..... Go through the motions of brushing your teeth to see if there is enough room. In the kitchen, go through the motions of preparing a meal and the cleanup after. Actually doing the activities will show up faults in the design.
my husband wanted the allison transmission eventhough we had had many 5th wheels and both knew to us the bathroom and the bedroom space was the most important. if there is an offset that can be used we would not have to cut holes and the water lines are not in the way and would not have to be moved.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote