Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Considering a 2008 Sea Breeze...should we??

Hey guys. Need some quick advice before traveling 15hrs to look at a 08 37ft v10 sea breeze. It looks clean, but I'm worried about Nationals delamination problems. Were 08s part of the effected models? Should I steer clear and keep shopping? can't afford to take 3 days off work (it's not easy to get time off) if these things are typically plagued with issues. And what's up with that weird 2 slide bedroom slide within a slide?? Are those reliable?

It did have 2 previous leaks...both were apparently fixed. One was the bathroom window. Apparently the wallpaper is wrinkled.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Opinion.....the V10 is a gas hog.....right now gas is cheap, but it will not be cheap forever. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I would keep looking
Old 07-26-2016, 05:41 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
As a Seabreeze v-10 owner allow me to opine. Gas hog? Moving 12 tons of material down the road takes some energy, regardless of what engine, my v-10 gives me 5-6 mpg hauling me, my wife, kids and grand children, our "vacation home", all our stuff and pulling along my Chevy Malibu. If I drive my Nissan Titan to work in traffic hauling just myself it gives me about 10-11 mpg, put the boat behind it and maybe 8-9, so pound for pound the v-10 is doing great in my book! Plus smooth as silk and powerful, I have no complaint there.

The Sea Breeze is superior in construction, fit and finish to most competitors I looked at....way superior in many cases. The delamination issue I am not sure about that being a huge issue. Mine has an issue about and inch or so up from the bottom of the panels, swelling is what I would call it, appears to be water wicking up from the hinges of the compartment doors, there is some discussion on here about it, don't know what to make of it, but compared to what I see out there on others, not a major issue for me. I see Winne's, and other brands same vintage as mine with MAJOR delam issues, whole panels and sections. Leaks come about as a result of maintenance failures, not properly re-sealing roof mainly, or possibly poor construction methods (not case in Nationals). Had small leak in mine around the skylight over shower, addressed immediately and fixed. No big deal.

ANY motorhome you look at will evoke positive and negative responses, based on experience. Mostly seems like internet reviews are gripe sessions. Do your homework, check the unit out, and go. Never regretted mine for a minute, 6 years and 30,000 miles into mine I am Happy.

Just my opinion
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the opinions so far. I currently have a V10 37ft class A. Ive considered a pusher, but diesel fuel isn't cheap here, nor is the maintenance cost. I used to work for a Ford dealer anyway, so Im comfortable with them.

I basically was looking for whether or not they were above average or below in terms of delam etc. Some RVs are prone to delam, no matter what. I used to own a Coachmen, and that particular model was prone to delam in certain climates, regardless of maintenance.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
DTS

Country Coach Owners Club
Jon,

I worked at National RV for 9 years, right up until right before the end. I was in marketing. The delamination issues were a few years before that coach was built, I wouldn't really worry about that. And it was an issue that manifested quickly after the coach was built--if its gone nearly 10 years and still looks good at this point, its most likely not going to have the issue NRV was dealing with back then. National had long since changed vendors and processes from those that had been causing all of the problems. I wasn't in engineering so I don't recall the exact details, but it was something about the FRP panels off-gassing to the interior of the wall, and causing the adhesive and foam insulation to literally dissolve within the laminated wall. It didn't kill the company outright, but it weakened NRV enough that it wasn't strong enough to weather the economic problems that turned up later.

What I would be more concerned about is that your coach was built very near the end for NRV. There may be build quality issues not related to design, but rather to workmanship by possibly under-motivated workers while the company was in its last days. Perhaps those previous leaks around the windows is a manifestation of that. A thorough PDI would be in order.

With regards to the telescoping slide ("Slide+1" LOL...somewhere in my files I still have a sheet of possible logos I had drawn for that) A friend of mine who was in product development has his name on the patent. Anyhow we thought it was a great idea, but there were a lot of engineering issues to overcome. And since we weren't around to see how they held up over the years, I can't offer any insight as to their reliability. I'd be interested to hear though! I wonder how many were actually built with that feature? It was introduced near the end.

I loved National RV and for years had considered getting one when we were ready to move up from a trailer to a motorhome. I still believe NRV made great products for the market segments they competed in. But I think you just need to be aware that particular coach was built during a tumultuous time for the company, so be vigilant in your inspection.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dusty,
What a great reply to Jon's post.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Yes....wow. Thank you so much for that reply Dusty!! I appreciate the amount of thought you put into it. I can tell you're passionate about the work you did, and about the company, but Im glad you are candid about things. We will keep this all in mind.

The TeleSlide is interesting, and a cool concept. There are a few examples online of them, but no info whatsoever on reliability. I can't even find a copy of the 2008 brochure (08 saw a large design change from 07). I know Monaco used that design (they bought the rights to it??) shortly after, but I can't even find much info on them either.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

Just wanted to thank you all once again. Picked up the 08 last week!! Sharp looking motor coach!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
As a Seabreeze v-10 owner allow me to opine. Gas hog? Moving 12 tons of material down the road takes some energy, regardless of what engine, my v-10 gives me 5-6 mpg hauling me, my wife, kids and grand children, our "vacation home", all our stuff and pulling along my Chevy Malibu. If I drive my Nissan Titan to work in traffic hauling just myself it gives me about 10-11 mpg, put the boat behind it and maybe 8-9, so pound for pound the v-10 is doing great in my book! Plus smooth as silk and powerful, I have no complaint there.

The Sea Breeze is superior in construction, fit and finish to most competitors I looked at....way superior in many cases. The delamination issue I am not sure about that being a huge issue. Mine has an issue about and inch or so up from the bottom of the panels, swelling is what I would call it, appears to be water wicking up from the hinges of the compartment doors, there is some discussion on here about it, don't know what to make of it, but compared to what I see out there on others, not a major issue for me. I see Winne's, and other brands same vintage as mine with MAJOR delam issues, whole panels and sections. Leaks come about as a result of maintenance failures, not properly re-sealing roof mainly, or possibly poor construction methods (not case in Nationals). Had small leak in mine around the skylight over shower, addressed immediately and fixed. No big deal.

ANY motorhome you look at will evoke positive and negative responses, based on experience. Mostly seems like internet reviews are gripe sessions. Do your homework, check the unit out, and go. Never regretted mine for a minute, 6 years and 30,000 miles into mine I am Happy.

Just my opinion
I have the 1350 model of the Sea Breeze line, we have been very happy with it we also pull a Malibu my MPG is around 6.5 to 7. National made a great product we have had very few problems the Power Gear Jacks and slide out mechanisms work perfectly even after hundreds of cycles. We have no delamination issues. I try to keep up with sealants.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know if the information in the below is still current. If it is the person may be of some assistance. Although, since the OP is in Canada if it will be of much help for him. We love our Dolphin.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/poss...ce-222890.html
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Just wanted to thank you all once again. Picked up the 08 last week!! Sharp looking motor coach!
And it has the newest good V-10 for sure!
Paulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #13

Just purchased an 08 Sea Breeze and although we haven't put a lot of miles on it, really love it so far. Lots of neat add-on bells and whistles on this boat. And the 8.1 moves it right down....or up... the hills.

Cheers
Red Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote