RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Convection/Mirco oven

My GE profile sensor convection in my '99 Dolphin just quit. I of course checked breakers, GFI and EMS says all circuits are available. I haven't yet checked the connections in the breaker box yet.

The only reason I am posting this is the vent fan and stove top light (120v) on the unit also do not work. I can understand a 13 year old oven failiing, but for the vent fan and light not to work points me to an internal fuse or breaker. Of course, it may be since the oven is down, it may not operate these.

I probably won't get into this until Wednesday, just wondering if anyone has had experience like this, have had theirs apart, or worse case senerio, what did you replace it with? Thanks!

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Check right where it is plugged in and see if there is voltage there. Mine is plugged into a little surge protector and if you have one of them it could of failed. Your light and fan both should still work.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Well, at this point any 120v connection is burried behind the whole unit (I have to assume the unit is hardwired to the circuit). I will have remove the whole unit to see any connections. I have not yet removed the vent filters or light fixture to see if there is a visable 120v connection for the whole unit.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
When our GE died, everything died. We had a power surge. (Another story)

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Micro dead

Stupid thought.....have you checked the GFI circuit(s) in the kitchen yet? Hoping that it is that simple.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #6

Check the GFI and other AC sockets first, then look for a panel you can remove to get to the socket the Micro/Convection unit AC plug should be plugged into. Mine has a wood panel that is held on with Velcro. It could even be the GFI in the bathroom or bedroom that has tripped.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Already checked the GFI and confirmed the only 120v item down is the oven. I do know it's on it's own circuit.

I'm going to open the breaker/EMS panel this morning to check connections and the breaker. Failing that, I'll start dismantling the oven.

Clara was baking a pie (convection only) while I was gone. She told me she burnt the pie up. It was only after she removed the pie and later tried to use the micro that it died.

When I looked at this pie, there were areas burnt totally black and I mean hard as a rock. While other areas were just barely over done. I can only conclude now the oven went caflooy and turned the micro on. I'm 99.99% sure now a new oven is in our future

John...
Old 12-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

Sounds about right. The microwaves burnt the sugar. Any way one of the "Terrorists" could have jumped up and bumped a button? It might have gone into the pre-heat mode too.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=clyon51;1409539]Already checked the GFI and confirmed the only 120v item down is the oven. I do know it's on it's own circuit.

I'm going to open the breaker/EMS panel this morning to check connections and the breaker. Failing that, I'll start dismantling the oven.

Clara was baking a pie (convection only) while I was gone. She told me she burnt the pie up. It was only after she removed the pie and later tried to use the micro that it died.

When I looked at this pie, there were areas burnt totally black and I mean hard as a rock. While other areas were just barely over done. I can only conclude now the oven went caflooy and turned the micro on. I'm 99.99% sure now a new oven is in our future

I had a similar problem, turned out that a couple of wires in the upper portion of the microwave had burned/heated and caused a temp. cutout to open cutting off all power to the unit. The cutout had to be ordered and the terminals going to it replaced.
The cutout was located on the left side above the cavity.
Not real easy to get at but easier than replacing the oven!
The unit failed due to the extreme heat in that area over the years.

Hope this helps!
RoyalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
99.99% is as close to certain as a person can get. I'm kind of a replace rather than repair when it is that old. To each his own, anyway sorry this happened so close to Christmas, lots of after Christmas sales going on however.

Good luck.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #11

I'm more or a repair guy, or at least to find out why something failed. You can only learn from trying.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #12

My GE convection oven went out this summer. It just started to growl and nothing else! Replaced with a Kitchenaid from Lowes. I had to rebuild cabinet to fit the new micro and what a difference! Cooks much better than the GE. You might find the panel or valence just above the micro is held in place with Velcro or push pins like mine. You need to gain access to this aria to remove the oven and your outlet for the oven may be there.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm more or a repair guy, or at least to find out why something failed. You can only learn from trying.

It seems the thread is coming to and end, so I'll slip in a Merry Christmas Dunner. And the same to all on the thread.

Yes, I have a sixty year old Shopsmith (before they were Shopsmith) which I love to keep running and 107 year old fishing reel that can inspire me to repair it but 13 year old Microwaves, well I would not worry about getting it running but the fact that it is incinerating pies would irk me to no end, I like pies.

If the microwave was made from wood I would fix it and you could never tell.

But I digress, I came back on to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Dunner (and all), as soon as we can button up and load up we are heading south.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 03 Dolphin the Mic/Cov is held in by two long screws in the cabinet above then it just tilts forward and out; a slip fitting in the back. No surrounding cabinet so I hope yours is that easy as well.