Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Converting from 30 amp service to 50 amp service

was wondering approx how much money it would cost to switch my rv over
to 50 amp service???

is it worth the trouble and expense to switch to 50 amp service?

i would not want to do this myself so i would have to hire someone to do it.

please advise if you are glad u switched to 50 amps? thanks
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The real question is why you want to do this. It is fairly involved as you need a new power cord, a new transfer switch and a new power panel. All wiring between the cord entrance and the panel must be replaced as well.

I have a 50 amp coach that really runs pretty much the same when using 30. I only have a single A/C unit, however.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
30 to 50

I have a 1999 31' Seaview with 2 roof airs that is wired for 50 amp from the factory. I usually run on 30 amp since the "bathroom a/c" is broken. I see you replaced one of your ac units. What did you end up getting? I am surprised that yours is not 50 amp... are you looking at a 30 amp main breaker in the panel or does it actually have a 30 amp 3 prong plug-in and not the 4 prong?
Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #4

Our motorhome is smaller than yours. We got tired of having to turn off something in order to use something else.

We always stay in rv parks with electrical hookups, we never boondock. And we only have one air conditioner. We asked about this very thing on another forum. Everone advised that it wasn't necessary with only on a/c.

For us, it was the best, and only, mod we did. We had it done at a dealer because it was beyond our skills. It's so much nicer using our rv now.

We still have the original generator, but we only run the a/c on that when we're out and about with the dogs.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:45 AM   #5

I have a 98 winnebago I purchased used. It has a Power Switch connected thru the generator, and will provide 50 amp service instead of 30 amp. No idea how much that would cost since it was installed before my time.
98winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best change I ever made. Look here for details. May only have to change breaker and wiring. click link below.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/50-a...ghlight=50+amp
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have to plug my rig into the generator's outlet in the compartment. There is no transfer switch on it and I believe that is how it came from National. The original Generac 5500 was wired directly to a 4 prong outlet in the compartment. Mr Seaview, do you have a 5500 gen set?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #8

hi Paulers

i also have a 31 ft seaview with 2 air conditioners. my rig is only wired for 30 amp
service as far as i know?? i just replaced my front a/c unit with a new dometic
15,000 btu a/c. my problem is now i cannot run both a/c at the same time.

my old original a/c was a 13,500 btu dometic and i could run both a/c at the same time.

i do have a 5500 Generec generator that works great. i have not tried to run both
a/c units with the generator?? do u think both units would run ok with generator?

my rear a/c is 13,500 and front a/c is 15,000 btu. i really think it would be nice to
have 50 amp service instead instead of 30 amps.

please advise what u think i should do??? i only have a 3 prong 30 amp cord plug.

thanks for any suggestions and comments
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. seaview View Post
hi Paulers
do u think both units would run ok with generator? i only have a 3 prong 30 amp cord plug.

thanks for any suggestions and comments
Those prints show a transfer switch (says added in 2003) what yr is yours? Do you have to move the male plug to the generator receptacle?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/2000...al-195861.html

I could take a few pictures of mine and it might help. For the Gen to power both airs you would have to be wired for 50 amp.

Tags
service