RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Coolent overflow tank 2001 Tradewinds

I seem to recall seeing a thread on someone here having the same thing happen on their rig. The coolent tank on my 2000 Frightliner XC has split. (Cat 330 side rad) Is it hard to get? How hard to replace? Untill I get a replacement, any idea how I can plug the lead? Its about a 1/2" split. I was thinking using fiberglass patch?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had mine replace on my read radiator Tradewinds a couple years ago at Freightliner in Las Vegas. Mine was crumbling and there was no chance of a repair. The tank itself was $107 and another $60 for coolant and $550 for labor. The reason the labor was so high and also why I did not want to do this job was the P/S reservoir, rubber cover, radiator, rad support, fill tube, dipstick, and CAC intake manifold all had to be removed to access the tank bolts. Good luck

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

guess i was very lucky. did mine myself and only cussed 2 bolts

took about 2 hours and only 1 cut.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ending to the story, did the job myself, took 6 hrs cause it was cold and raining really hard, got soaked!! and through out my back, but its in. Only had some small glitches and one small hose to replace, while it looks small (the tank) did it ever drink up new coolant. anyways all is good now and its not plastic! It should out live me now.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
My reservoir just split and I am getting the new tank from Freightliner this week and plan on replacing it over the weekend. Aside from what appears to be some tough to get to bolts, are there any other tricks I should know about? Should I try to drain the tank first or just pull it and hose everything off? I am assuming Freightliner will give me everything for the newer design tank (hopefully). Just looking for some experience advice, if there is any out there!

Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Mine wasn't all that bad, I swapped mine out in an hour or so. I did go and buy a couple of wrenches with the ratchet built into the box end. Money well spent and I only had to say a few choice words during the job.

I went ahead and changed all of the hoses, thermostats and coolant at the same time. Eleven years on the same hoses seemed to be pushing it and now I have a couple of back-ups if needed.

Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank