Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Cooper Tires

Does anyone have experiance with Cooper Tires. The quote for Cooper's is a good bit lower than all the rest. These ar 245/80 22.5

Thanks Dick

Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #2

I did not know Cooper made tires in that size. I will be interested to hear. Cooper tires on my Dodge Durango SUV have been fine, but no comparison to a 22.5" tire. I believe Cooper is or was a subsidiary of Goodyear but their tires were unique and not Goodyear rebrands. Does anyone else know??

Old 01-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
The more I look into these tires the more confusing it gets. Sizing isn't as easy as it use to be. The Michelin Tires 235/80 22.5 are only made in that size by Michelin so if I change brands I'll need to go to a 245/75 22.5 which some of the dealers say are the same. But every dealer has a different story and they all sound good but contradict each other. One guy said Cooper was bought out by Roadway or some such and another gut says only his tires will fit and ride smooth. It's really hard to sort out the BS from the facts. I did get a quote from a Michelin dealer for $2500, but havenít yet got anyone to quote Toyo or Yokahama tires. Another complication is I want weight balancing instead of sand. All kinds of answers to that one. I think it depends on if they have a balancing machine or not. One guy said a 22.5" tire at RV speeds doesn't need balancing at all but I'm not sure about that.

I told my wife it's like playing Dungeons and Dragons with a bunch of kids and all the dealers I call are a new Dungeon Master with there own obscure rules. The quest continues. I do know that Cooper makes a 245/75 22.5 tire I just can't be sure there the best answer. Fortunately I have time before spring. Iím not sure they even need replaced until next year. I canít see any severe cracks but some folks change every 6 or 7 years if they need it or not and mine are dated in 2005.

Dick
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #4

My Michelins are dated 2004 and have moderate sidewall cracking. I will be shopping for tires this year. I am leaning toward Yoko's, but will talk to several dealers first. There are plenty of discussions on tires on this forum, so filter through all those and see what you think. I will look for Cooper tires, but I think they may be hard to find. I don't think there are more than 4 or 5 brands in this size range. I suspect Michelins are the most expensive, and I don't feel they are the best value if I have to replace by age rather than tread wear. I would have to be convinced they are superior.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If you would like a copy of the Michelin Side Wall Crack chart, go to Michelin Sidewall Cracking Chart - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Print the chart and compare it to your tires.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #6

Michelins

I just replaced all 6 tires on my 2003 DolphinLX with Michelins. I stayed with the brand that was on the coach when I bought it because I was so confused with all the crap and misinformation I received trying to get a better price. Even though Michelins were the highest price - I felt more comfortable with tires that were on the coach without any problems. I now feel very comfotable with the new XZE's. Something to be said for staying safe with a tire your used to and were original equipment when the coach was new.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Some issues with changing tire sizes and perhaps brands.

Does the new size have adequate load carrying capacity?

If the new size requires a higher pressure, will the ride be harsher?

If the new size requires more pressure, are the wheels rated for that pressure?

Are the wheels of the proper width?

Will the dual spacing be sufficient?

Will the new size fit and clear fenders, jacks, suspension, etc.

Is the diameter/loaded radius close? If not, the speedometer will be off and engine fuel delivery may be affected.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote