RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Dash AC

I have an 03 Dolphin LX on the Workhorse W22 chassis and the dash air has just started giving problems. Sometimes it get cold and sometimes it doesn't. The repair shop says the problem is a bad expansion valve, but doesn't know which one to order since National is no longer available. Anyone had a similar problem or know who makes the valve or is there a manufacturer name and number to order?

DASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
The A/C system utilized was from Evans http://www.evanstempcon.com/ . The compressor was furnished by GM, the remainder of the system is Evans.

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From the description provided, I can not say if it is the TXV (thermal Expansion Valve) or not. Anyone of a number of things could cause intermittent cooling. The shop needs to hook up a et of gauges and check pressure and temperature to see what is going on in the system. The valve should have a tag on it which gives the model, orifice and size. It will probably be a Sporlan or an Alco valve.

Ken
Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #4

I don't know if this will help but I have a 06 Seabreeze with a Air Cond problem that I was able to fix myself. First the A/C would work great then it started to blow hot and would make all kinds of moaning and groaning. Found out that the system was overcharged. I guess the system only needs around 2.5lbs of freon and someone put alot more. I had the system vac down and put the correct amount in, which fixed my problem.
Second the first fix worked for about 6 months. Then the A/C on day started to blow hot again after the engine would warm up. I found out today that I have a bad Electronic Coolant Valve that was not shutting allowing hot water in like the heat was on. I went to the local Advance Auto and purchased a manual valve and installed it to find out if the electronic valve was really bad before I spent $100 on the new one I purchased the manual valve for $10. After putting in the manual valve the A/C blew cool again fixing the problem. Now I am going to order the new valve from Evans and hopefully my problem will be fixed. Your coolant valve just might not be closing all the way causing a leak of hot water coming into your heater not allowing the air cond in. I hope this helps!!

Thanks,
John
JohnM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine does the samething, when it blows HOT, I turn the Heat on for about 3 minutes or so, then turn the Heat off and put the air on Max. It will then cool down and run fine. The evans valve sticks and running the Hot water through it must clean it out. You might try it on yours, it has always worked for me.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Electronic Coolant Valve was all bad after replacing it all is good. You can check to see if yours is bad by just clamping off the coolant hose going to the heater / a/c box.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #7

Ditto, I went down this road too. Save yourself a ton of anguish and start at the electronic temperature control valve. I went through 2 TEV's, 5 system evacuations and recharges, countless road tests, I took it to the NRV factory in Perris, called workhorse rep in to mediate with the service provider, Workhorse tried to sell me a $600 kit to enhance the system capacity.

Lots of Finger pointing went on between Workhorse and National because of the system is provided by National and the other by Workhorse.

Finally it came down to the Freon charge which apparently needs to be 2.5lbs exactly, and the Temp control Valve. So after the service center got the Freon correct and it was blowing cold, I Went to home depot bought a brass shutoff ball valve and installed in line with the control valve, when it is hot outside I shut off the heater circuit and get all the frosty air I can handle. Usually I just leave it shut off and in the winter I turn it on partially. It does no detectable harm at all but to be safe I open it partially or all the way once in a while to let your coolant circulate through the heater core. You can get a cable operated valve and run it inside and bypass the Electronic valve when it isn’t responding, or keep buying replacement temperature control valves which seemed to be a flawed design or used incorrectly by National.
04sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
As I understand it, the Evans AC is also used on the Ford's and except for the Ford compressor, everything else is the same. I have had problems with my dash AC and thanks to this site, I now have some answers without spending tons of money.

36' Cougar 5th wheel
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #9

Rick,
What seems to be the problem with your A/C?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
John, my AC will not blow cold air. Usually hot air, but I live in a hot climate. I took it to an "Evens" air conditioning dealer and they said it just needed freon. I got in back from them in cooler weather and was unable to determine if it was working proper, but it still did not seem to be cold. The next season, sure enough, no cold air. I tired to add freon myself, but it will not take any, but then again, I don't know if I did it right. The lack of cold air happened quickly, so now I believe it is something else like the valve talked about in this form. It is not worth my time to take it back to the Evens AC place, it only cost me $109.00 last time and obviously they did not fix it. I plan to look for an AC repair place closer to my home or storage location, and give them a printout of this form, giving them some ideas to fix it.

36' Cougar 5th wheel
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #11

Hi Rick, I hope the information in this thread will help you, but keep in mind sometimes too may ideas can lead to assumptions and an important step leading to a proper diagnosis may be overlooked. In my case too may factors were in play to catch the cause quickly, including human error. The tech assigned to repair my coach was not doing what he was instructed to do by the service manager.

I would go to a competent A/C shop and get back to basics, check the entire system, including the electrical devices that may stop the compressor from engaging. If they fail to find the cause I would produce the information you found here.

By the way If you are not sure it is cooling it probably is not.

Here are a few basic tips.
1. Verify the compressor is pumping? If you are comfortable with basic wiring you can use 12v light bulb wired to the compressor clutch connector and run it inside and replace the engine cover, drive and test. When the light is on the compressor is pumping.
2. Is the system charge adequate, and not under/overcharged. My 2004 Dolphin system requires exactly 2.5 lbs.
3. Is the heater canceling out the A/C, from a defective temperature valve, I would add a valve to the heater system. To do this simply cut the top heater hose with a sharp blade, and install a brass ball valve in between, you can find what you need at Home Depot. Block the flow and test, even if it doesn’t fix it your system it will make it possible to improve the efficiency of your system on a super hot day when it is working correctly. The electronic temperature valves used by National are commonly flawed in my opinion.
4. Does it get cold at all, perhaps within the first 7-15 minutes from a cold start but then quickly blows hot? If yes it is the temp valve.
5. When working properly My 2004 A/C is obviously working so if you are not sure, it likely isn’t working well when you leave the repair shop.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Don
04sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #12

Rick,
I live in Florida so I know all about the hot climates. Have you checked the coolant valve? It is the easiest fix. If you go to your local Auto Parts Store and asked them for a manual Heater Control Valve which is around $10 and try that first. I bet that your coolant valve is not closing, letting the hot water into the A/c system. If you need help locating the valve just stand in front of the coach and look in the upper left hand corner. You should see the heater hoses the valve is right there! Just follow the hoses. You can also go to the Evans web page and take a look at the Electronic Coolant Valve so you know what you are looking for! Thanks and good Luck!

John
Old 09-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #13

This seems to be a problem with just about every dash air..I received help from other members on this issue..I had the same problem..would be blowing nice cold air then in an instant blistering hot air..It was suggested to put an inline shut off valve in the heater hose...I did this...travelled from Mich to Fla last month with the coldest air I have ever had....greatest quick fix ever...I got a brass manual shut off valve from Lowe's , crimped the heater hose in two places, cut the hose, inserted the valve and that was it...no problems since.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few points:

I think the dash air is a "Chassis" component, so check with Workhorse for the part number.. The worst that they can tell you is "Not our problem" or to be more specific "not supplied by us"

NOTE: I would not recommend getting the part from Workhorse (Story follows)

Second part: I had the same problem.. Same valve. (I think) replaced under warranty by Damon (Though I do not know if they got paid by Workhorse.. I was at the Damon Factory from some clearly Damon's issue work, and their A/C tech, a very nice man by the way, fixed it for me,, He was customizing his Damon in his off hours and gave me a tour of it)

Next: The story My story has to do with a steering wheel

THe rig came with the "Delux" wheel, a 350 dollar item as I recall.. Problem is given my size (height) the wheel blocked the speedometer (A very important display) and I determined the standard (Slightly smaller) wheel, would not improve things.

The only solution was a larger wheel.

I tracked down the manufacturer.. (VIP -or- Vehicle Improvement Products, INC) and talked to them. Since I failed to mentined to discuss price when I placed the order I was a bit aprehensive as I checked my credit card statement.. $127.00 delevered to my door

This was a hand made, one of a kind, custom wheel

Less than half the cost of the production model from Workhorse.