Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Dash Air not cool

2003 Dolphin LX 6342, Workhorse

Last week I turned on the dash air for the first time this year and got nothing but hot air. Worked fine last year, but not now. Is there a fuse or some vacuum switch that controls the the temp setting? I have the settings for max air and cold, but air is still hot. New compressor less than a year ago, and can see no evidence of freon leak.
Any thoughts on what the problem might be?? All help appreciated

Duane
DASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASA View Post

Last week I turned on the dash air for the first time this year and got nothing but hot air. Worked fine last year, but not now. Is there a fuse or some vacuum switch that controls the the temp setting? I have the settings for max air and cold, but air is still hot. New compressor less than a year ago, and can see no evidence of freon leak.

Duane
Same problem here
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Got a 1999 Tradewind had my a/c recharged $300 for a complete overhaul c/w leak detection and sealer. work real good now. My charge volume was down to 2.5 Lbs. and it is suppose to be near 20 ( I believe).
Best thing I did as I can control dash temp.
Found it easy to do at an authorised garage.
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
On my 2001 Dolphin I have had a problem with the heater valve sticking open so even when the AC is on the heater is still pushing hot air as well. A quick fix is to find the valve controlled by the heater cable and manually make sure it is closed
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASA View Post

Duane
Do you know if the compressor is engaging ? No evidence of refrigerant leak? ?
You probably won't see any evidence, you would be lucky if you did ( without getting into reasons why ).
Step 1. Determine if compressor is engaging.
Step 2. Put your gauges on to check pressures.
Don't have gauges ?
Step 3. Take to A/C repair shop
I say this tongue in cheek with humor BUT the 2 most common causes are
bad compressor ( from setting )
refrigerant leak ( could be any where in system )
If refrigerant pressure is low....... find leak ! Otherwise you will be asking this question next year, more than likely.
greg6746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
X2 greg6746
Before you go to the expense of a shop or gauges.... Just do a couple things to help identify the problem. Start the engine and turn on the A/C to max cool.......
1. Carefully touch the larger A/C line (bare aluminum). The large line will be the low side, suction side and if it's cold, start looking somewhere else. Heater valve may not be closing, outside air door may not close, Blend door may not be moving.
2. If the A/C line is ambient or warm to the feel, then you may have several issues such as.... low refrigerant, inop compressor clutch, leaking refrigerant, etc. (Shop can identify easily)

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
I put a 1/2" valve in the input hose to the Evans controller. My Evans unit is not switching off the heater door. Air Conditioning works perfect now, but have toopen the valve back up when I want the heater again. Try pinching the input hose and see if your air starts working.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Could not find any aluminum line that was cool as suggested by greg6746 so I decided to take it to the shop that did the last a/c work about 8 months ago. They identified the problem as stuck expansion valve and leaking seal. Since they replaced the compressor and valve at that time they are going to do this repair under warranty.

Again thanks everyone for the suggestions.
DASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #9

By pinching input hose to see if ac works what hose do you mean?

Thanks
Gary
g-cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi g-cando, I suspect that keninvic is refering to the input heater hose. That would keep heated coolant/hot air out of the plenum-air distribution box. Hence, only cool air would flow out of the ducts.
Hope this helps
Larry
Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-cando View Post
By pinching input hose to see if ac works what hose do you mean?

Thanks
Gary

Just like in a car, the heated coolant flows to a heater core in the Evans unit, if the Evans valve is not closing, then the hot liquid is free to flow and your blower is blowing hot air. You can pinch the hot input hose to stop the flow and if you notice an immediate cooling effect then you have isolated the trouble, it may very well be that there is nothing wrong with the AC. Harbor Freight sells a cheap vice grip with flat surfaces that is designed to clamp hoses. I put a 1/2" valve in the hose and shut it off when in warm climates.

Tags
dash, dash air