RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Dash supports?

I have struggled with the creaks and rattles of the dash of my Sea Breeze since I got it. I have removed and replaces sections with a foam strip between the offending pieces of plastic with some success. But it occurred to me while driving along the most unpleasant sections of I-95 in SC this past week, that the dash is in a continual frenzy of motion, such that I can not mount my GPS on the dash since it oscillates wildly from the dash movement and is un-readable. So this thought occurred to me while seeing this happen, what if I was to support the underside of the dash to the engine cover in a way as to keep it from moving up and down from road irregularities (to put it nicely). Has anyone attempted this?

Of course the real answer is for politicians to stop raiding highway funds to balance budgets elsewhere, and use the fund to repair the roadways. The particular sections of I-95 I am referring to are the same road surfaces that I drove as a young man, they are nearly as old as I am!!

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, what have you got to lose.\?? However do a test first. You see the dash bouncing up and down, however, that is compared to you, not earth. Place a big bowl with a little water on the dash and another on whatever you want to support it to, like the top of the doghouse. Now, see which one sloshes more. You may find that the doghuse sloshes, and therefore moves, more than the dash and you'd just be making the problem worse. The dash may be somewhat floating in space as you bounce around it, and the bowls of water will tell.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Yeah, what have you got to lose.\?? However do a test first. You see the dash bouncing up and down, however, that is compared to you, not earth. Place a big bowl with a little water on the dash and another on whatever you want to support it to, like the top of the doghouse. Now, see which one sloshes more. You may find that the doghuse sloshes, and therefore moves, more than the dash and you'd just be making the problem worse. The dash may be somewhat floating in space as you bounce around it, and the bowls of water will tell.
That test has sort of been done, I keep drinks in holder on top of engine dog house with no major sloshing, to put a bowl of water on the dash would result in a shower!! Even the suction cup mount of the GPS will not stay long on there!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #4

If you drive down the road and can stop the oscillation by placing a hand on it, you should be able to solve the problem. If you can see under the dash, look for large open spaces. Like a gape between two objects (dash and a heater, bracket brace).
This is the unknown, but try some expanding foam in these places. Do a little at a time. If wires are in the way and for the lack of areas, wrap the wires in a slit tube or saran-wrap.
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom:

I was able to almost completely stop the dash bouncing by adding homemade aluminum supports behind the dash. Remove the speedo cluster and you will see all sorts of places to add mounting brackets from the steering column mounting bracket [which is absolutely solid] to 4 or 5 places on the dash. I glued a piece of wood to the little shelf area just under the speedo cluster to begin with, and went from there. You will have to use your imagination, but just adding a few support brackets will make you smile when you drive over the "irregular" streets.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dash supports?

The dash on my newly purchased (June) 2008 Dolphin bounced why traveling on some of our great roads. This summer I looked into fixing this problem and what I came up with after removing the entire front dash panel was to use a 1/2" threaded Rod. I only needed about a foot of it with 4 nuts a some washers. I found a good spot that I could drill a hole in the wood dashboard structure and another hole just below, on the engine cover just forward of the doghouse. Here's some pictures of what I did. Have driven it yet to know if it helped but I'm pretty confident it will.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450400094.974742.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	114384Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450400122.851968.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	114385Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450400136.608811.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	114386

I added some blocks of plywoods to give a little extra structure to both areas.
This is located pretty much right in back of the radio.

Larry
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Larry good idea, I just put some blocks of wood on the dog house to help steady it . It dose not look real good tho.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
The dash on my newly purchased (June) 2008 Dolphin bounced why traveling on some of our great roads. This summer I looked into fixing this problem and what I came up with after removing the entire front dash panel was to use a 1/2" threaded Rod. I only needed about a foot of it with 4 nuts a some washers. I found a good spot that I could drill a hole in the wood dashboard structure and another hole just below, on the engine cover just forward of the doghouse. Here's some pictures of what I did. Have driven it yet to know if it helped but I'm pretty confident it will.Attachment 114384Attachment 114385Attachment 114386

I added some blocks of plywoods to give a little extra structure to both areas.
This is located pretty much right in back of the radio.

Larry
Looks like a great job!

Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash