RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Dealing with toilet platform

Hi,

Our toilet is on a raised platform, I'm wondering if there is a reason that the platform exists or if it's possible to remove the platform. If removing the platform isn't an option has anyone had success removing the carpet and replacing it with something else?

Thanks,

Juli

purplbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #2

Mine is on a platform as well. I replaced the toilet a couple of months ago with no problem using the old base plate. In two weeks I will be ripping out the carpet and replacing it with wood. After removing the toilet I'll have to remove the base plate that is screwed down onto the platform. Then I will remove the carpet, install the new wood (3/8" thick) replace the base plate and toilet, and hopefully, if I haven't run into any problems, all will be well (here's hoping).

Steve

StevePav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ours was to. feet no hit the floor! not good. i cut ours down to the level of our house toilet. looked like the reason for it was space for the heating duct. cut a hole in front n went in with a saws all to cut the pipe. then took the box apart n cut it down. was rather easy after i got into it. tis now a pleasure to sit down. good luck. it is worth the effort. dave

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The raised platform is used in order to have the correct angle for the sewer pipe to run with a down angle to the top of the black tank. You can't take the platform out because you will continously block the sewer pipe. You could build a raised platform in front of the toilet so your feet hit the ground.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #5

Also, our platform contains the bathroom heat duct. The DW uses a small portable step for her (short) legs and extended reading sessions.
I expect the platform is made out of plywood, so you should be able to glue on a solid surface material like flooring, laminate, maybe even granite???
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would think that the reason it contains a heating duct is that the space was available but the real reason is to get the down flow to the top of the black tank. If you lowered that platform and leveled out that sewer line then you are going to most likely experience blockage which is not fun.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote