RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you know..........

I'm still getting to know my new (used) Tradewinds. I have a couple of issues with my diesel generator which will require some time working through the front opening. I concluded that I would need to remove the drop-down door to get the access that I need. I noticed that it is held on by two hinges at the bottom with two bolts and nuts holding each hinge. I thought, "crap, another get down on your knees and back job!". I'm too old, stiff and every bone in my body hurts much of the time.....so, this is NOT good news! So...... I have avoided tackling the job for several days. Well, today it was cool and I decided to give it a go........I opened the door and was surveying which side I should do first.....and I noticed what initially looked like shiny ends of springs sticking out about 1/2 inch on each side of both hinges. I thought....hmmm, spring assisted hinges......then I thought.. UH....that doesn't make sense. Then I looked closer.......and exclaimed HOORAY, the National designers have done a smart thing, they have put spring loaded latches, like a door latch, on these hinges!! I rejoiced for a couple of minutes.......and then removed both hinges, standing up, and had the big door off in 30 seconds!!! Can you believe that?!! I bet your Tradewinds have these latches.......and other models as well!! Smiling Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #2

this is a great thing on my tradewinds to. i just took my door of saturday to access mine also when i had genny trouble. no tools needed to get off.

now i wish i had a diesel genny after my propane is blowing oil now.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The reason that I mentioned these latches on the hinges is that they are not easily noticed. In my case, the PO did not know they were there and for 11 years he changed the oil and filter without removing the door and subsequently, black oil has drained into the bottom of the door every time he serviced the engine, eventually covering the hinges with dirt and gook, making it hard to notice the latches were there. I suspect that is the case with many owners, especially those with diesel Generators. Noticing the latches on the hinges is very good news for those who service their own Generators. I'm still smiling. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thanks, when I was servicing my generator, I disconnected the support cables and laid it down on the concrete. Much better to know it can just be removed. Goes to show, you learn something new every day.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Going to check for them on my Safari, hope they are there.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote