Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Difference between basement panels and side panels?

seems that the basement panels have been painted and the wall panels are a fiberglass composite different from the basement doors.

I want to put a coating ( zep, poliglow, or shine-on)on and was wondering what I need to apply as these surface seem to be of a different surface treatment.

Hope you understand as the basement doors are shiny but the wall panel seem to have lost their luster.

appriceate any information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Do I wax the basement doors and poliglow the sidewall?

I'm trying to figure out what has to be done and I need your help.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
TSM

We have a 2006 Sea Breeze, same set up. The coach is fiberglass, so are the lower storage doors / panels. You are correct that the lower panel doors are painted, can only be waxed & buffed. Applied Meguiar's oxidation remover to storage doors followed by a Meguiar's wax.

Applied Poli-Prep & Poli-Glo to the fiberglass. Before the application we throughly cleaned the entire coach, the roof first. The black streaks were easily cleaned with Bar Keepers Friend, we
also applied ZEP to the roof.

Should you apply Poli-Glo be sure to quickly rinse the painted storage doors, do not let the Poli - Prep linger on the paint.

Good luck, be patient took me two full days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413946556.933107.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	589.6 KB
ID:	77094   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413946706.650368.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	77095  

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413946780.391218.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	658.0 KB
ID:	77096   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413946839.996769.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	671.1 KB
ID:	77097  

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413946951.211636.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	738.0 KB
ID:	77098  
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
TMS

TMS - beautiful job, looks like new, maybe better.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
TSM Is that a fiberglass roof ? I have a rubber roof,and I do not think I can put Zep on it.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TSM
Wow! Looks great, how did you get the zambonenieeeeee on the roof?
,damdannyboy
Old 10-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
TSM

Roof is fiberglass, cannot apply Zep to rubber roof, but there are many cleaners that are made for rubber roofs. I would point out that the roof did not look like that when we started cleaning. Initially we carefully used an electric power washer, followed by hand scrubbing with a brush & automotive scratch pad. We removed all of the old Dicor and re-sealed removed and replaced all vent covers (old and cracked) cleaned the air conditioners, fridge vent, the power vent over the cooking area was the worst, front and rear seams were re-taped. So much of the black streaking comes from grime build-up from the roof.

TSM
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
The good news is if the compartment doors are painted you are lucky, they are much harder to buff and polish, if just gel coat fiberglass, than the side panels. The side panels will clean up fairly easy with a 1 step cleaner wax, I use 3M products that I get at West Marine, although almost any cleaner wax designed for use on fiberglass will work. After using orbital polisher and cleaner wax on mine to restore luster, I follow with another coat of wax with PTEF a few days later for additional protection.

The basement doors and end caps are a whole 'nother story
trode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel