Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dolphin 5376 bed slide

Need a little help. Our bedslide has a hard time going both in and out. I see a roller near the end of the bed and then another near the wall . How do you lubricate these slides? Mine makes so much squeaky noise. When opening the slide the motor will actually quit and you have to wait a moment to try again. Been this one way since new. Help please
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Silicone Spray Lubricant for the blocks and rollers, wax the bottom and sides of the slide room. They also make cleaner spray for the seals.

You can also use silicone spray on your slide motor gears and rails.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is a 2002 Dolphin 5342, with three glide blocks on the bedroom slide. There is one toward either end and one in the middle. There aren't any rollers on our rear slide, so maybe this is completely irrelevant, but maybe not.

We use a good carnauba wax along the bottom of the rear slide where it makes contact with the glide blocks. With the slide out, just apply the wax along the strip the glide block makes contact when the slide moves in and out. Do not rub the wax off. Once dry, put the slide in, the dried wax acts as a lubricant on the glide blocks. Seemed to do the trick for us and the dried wax doesn't make a mess or attract dirt. It still squeaks a little bit right at first, but not bad and the slide goes in and out for us with no problems.
Chevyguy1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you take bed drawers out....and see how the slide works ?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #5

ChevyGuy your rear slide runs on rollers, no slides.

And like you, I used to wax the underside. Then I learned with the 5342 and the size if the slide, including closet, they were using rollers. Oh well.

Yours, like mine, probably goes in or out in about 6 to 8 seconds. Rollers.

OP, you need to get to the bottom of this (sorry), because if it’s dragging that bad on a puck it’s liable to damage the underside of the slide and the fiberglass.

Then that’s called “a project”.

Possibly remove the lower seal so you see exactly what’s going on during operations? Meanwhile make the bed/drawers as light as possible to help avoid damage.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:53 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
ChevyGuy your rear slide runs on rollers, no slides.

And like you, I used to wax the underside. Then I learned with the 5342 and the size if the slide, including closet, they were using rollers. Oh well.

Yours, like mine, probably goes in or out in about 6 to 8 seconds. Rollers.
I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I must in this instance. I've rebuilt the front of my rear slide because it was sagging, wearing into the fiberglass, and beginning to rub on the lower trim when closed. I extended the slide, built a support brace to hold and slightly lift the slide, removed the underside rail with the glide block, fastened a 1/4" plate of stainless steel to the underside of the slide along the full width of the front glide block path plus a couple inches on each side, reinstalled the underside rail, and gently lowered the slide back onto the block. End result was the slide is again level with the surrounding trim when closed and has stayed that way for the last couple years so I'm happy. Now I will admit I have not taken apart the bed to visually inspect the other two slide portions so maybe they are rollers. I just assumed they were not given what I held in my hand from the front portion, but I can definitely confirm the piece supporting the front portion of my slide is a nylon glide block, not a roller.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #7

My 2004 5342 also has the white nylon glides. Perhaps they upgraded to rollers between 2004 and 2005. Been considering doing this myself.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKo View Post
My 2004 5342 also has the white nylon glides. Perhaps they upgraded to rollers between 2004 and 2005. Been considering doing this myself.
I have both rollers and blocks on ours.Why? I do not know
Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #9

Interesting. Well I certainly can’t disagree with the above personal observations, and my assuming that what applies to one year conveniently applies to other years is clearly a mistake.

Back to the OP though, if it’s dragging he’ll want to get in there and figure it out before it gets worse and something fails.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
Interesting. Well I certainly can’t disagree with the above personal observations, and my assuming that what applies to one year conveniently applies to other years is clearly a mistake.

Back to the OP though, if it’s dragging he’ll want to get in there and figure it out before it gets worse and something fails.
This weekend I was able to get some lube on the blocks and the slide as well. I can now run the slide in and out with little to no chatter.
Thanks to all that gave me great advise.
Cheers
Old 09-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #11

I have a 2004 5342 and it has blocks. Tried the carnauba wax several times and it works for a while. Someone on IRV2 suggested candle wax so I rubbed an old candle on the underside of the slide where it contacts the blocks and it’s lasted quite a bit longer so far.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, slide