Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Dolphin electrical issues

I had a 1998 Dolphin 536S with a dead 12v battery. When I tried to jump-start it, the cables melted down (yes they were connected properly). Took the battery out and had it tested. Verdict was "reverse polarity" i.e. the negative post had positive charge and the positive post, negative. Any body else ever heard of this happening?

Replaced battery with a new one and now I have numerous problems. There are three cables attached to the positive post, two of which I can't identify and are causing problems when connected. The third cable when attached gives power to the engine (starting, dashboard, etc). When either of the other two are attached, hydraulic leveler pump actuates but there is no power to the control panel to level the vehicle.

I suspect the heavier of the two cables is for the "crossover" for starting boost but don't know for sure and don't understand why the leveler motor activates?

There is no power to the generator starter in any configuration of cables. Please don't tell me this is a fuse issue unless you can tell me where the fuse panel is, 'cause I've already checked all the fuses I can find.

What would go a long way toward solving the issue is a more detailed wiring diagram than the ones that are in the owner's manual.

Does anyone know where such a diagram can be obtained?
TappinHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
The levelers require chassis battery to drive the pump and house battery for the control panel.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thank You for Responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahiti16 View Post
The levelers require chassis battery to drive the pump and house battery for the control panel.
Thanx for responding - I suspected as much but I still can't continue to TroubleShoot the system until I find detailed wiring plans that show cable color codes, fuse or circuit breaker locations, etc. Do you know where I can find them?
Old 11-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Not sure they ever existed to the consumer. I would suggest you join the National RV Owners section of Yahoo, some diagrams posted there.

Documentation is one thing National RV was never very good at providing documentation for the coach body.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks for Responding

Already been there, Fred - can't find anything other than the sales brochure and the spec sheet unless there is an archive somewhere on the site that is not readily viewable?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have this for your BCC. The 150 amp breaker in the lower right corner is for the generator and jacks motor. It is mounted on the back of the board, you have to feel for the reset lever. However, since your jack motor runs doubt if it is trippped. As already posted probably never find a detailed wiring schematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Volt Distribution Panel.jpg
Views:	1404
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	143993  
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks for Responding

Interrogative "BCC"?

Google found this drawing after I posted last response but I can't read the print (too blurry). Any thoughts wrt location of a cleaner copy? I assume this is the distribution panel in the bedroom?
Old 11-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BCC = Battery Control Center. That's the cleanest copy I have seen. You can get a better copy from RV Custom Products that made it but it won't have the description each fuse is for.
They will email it to you.

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8353
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks for Responding

Thanx, I downloaded the pics and troubleshooting guide. By the sound of things this may be the root cause of all my issues. Before I cantact them, I'm going to check the BCC in my Dolphin for a part number.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
My BCC?

I believe this is my BCC (pic not attached - can't figure out how to upload from my PC) but it doesn't look anything like the pics I downloaded from RV Custom Products. Nothing appears to be overheated or damaged in any way but appearances can be deceiving so went thru the troubleshooting steps with no joy. I am stumped and still looking for a wiring diagram. There is no vender info on circuit board, unless its on the back side (I did not remove the board). Also, no response from the National RV forum at Yahoo.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
BCC help, please

1. With only one (red) cable attached to battery, engine starts and runs normally with power to dashboard equipment.

2. With second (red) cable attached, when ignition switch is in 'accessory' or 'start' position, hydraulic pump for levelers runs & quickly drains battery; no power to leveler control panel to stop pump.

3. With second (red) cable disconnected and third (smaller Wt/red striipe) cable attached, hydraulic pump runs even with ignition key in 'off/locked' position; power to leveler panel but shorts out & goes dead when any button is pushed, hydraulic pump still running; battery drains within minutes.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Custom Products does not have a Web site for downloading the documentation of their devices. When you call them Mary will ask for the year of your Dolphin and will email it to you. I got 7 pages of information from them didn't need the BCC P/N although I had it.
To upload pictures do a new post, scroll down until you see "manage attachments" click on the button a new window will open. In the new window click "choose file" find the file on your computer. Click on the file, when you see the file in the manage attachments window click on upload. When the upload is finished close that window, submit the reply. File has to be less then 3 MB to upload.
P.S. my BCC is in the right front compartment between the entrance door and right front tire. Guess the 98 is different.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappinHammer View Post
1. With only one (red) cable attached to battery, engine starts and runs normally with power to dashboard equipment.

2. With second (red) cable attached, when ignition switch is in 'accessory' or 'start' position, hydraulic pump for levelers runs & quickly drains battery; no power to leveler control panel to stop pump.

3. With second (red) cable disconnected and third (smaller Wt/red striipe) cable attached, hydraulic pump runs even with ignition key in 'off/locked' position; power to leveler panel but shorts out & goes dead when any button is pushed, hydraulic pump still running; battery drains within minutes.
Have you double checked all the chassis grounds. Bad grounds can cause a lot of weird thinks to happen when voltage is looking for ground.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
My BCC?

Thanx for all the help, Chuck.

Nothing in the compartment directly behind the front right tire (except my "patio" stuff). This pic is for circuit board/fuse panel in bedroom. I believe this is my BCC but it doesn't look anything like the pics I downloaded from RV Custom Products. Nothing appears to be overheated or damaged in any way but appearances can be deceiving so went thru the troubleshooting steps with no joy. I am stumped and still looking for a wiring diagram. There is no vender info on circuit board, unless its on the back side (I did not remove the board). Also, no response from the National RV forum at Yahoo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCC.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	144218  

Tags
dolphin, electrical