RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Dolphin LX6355 Whirling noise at 45MPH

New to forum, Just pull the trigger and purchased a 2007 Dolphin LX6355. Nice unit, has a few problems. Clear Coat is peeling in a couple of places. One storage door has scratch/crease in it. The biggest problem that is worrying me right now is a whirling noise from the front driver side when the coach gets to 47 mph and then subsides around 55 mph. I am worried it may be a bad tire. Any helpful hints would e appreciated.

Johnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnret View Post
New to forum, Just pull the trigger and purchased a 2007 Dolphin LX6355. Nice unit, has a few problems. Clear Coat is peeling in a couple of places. One storage door has scratch/crease in it. The biggest problem that is worrying me right now is a whirling noise from the front driver side when the coach gets to 47 mph and then subsides around 55 mph. I am worried it may be a bad tire. Any helpful hints would e appreciated.
Welcome to the forum, John.

Take a look at the thread I am including to make sure it is not part of your problem. There are other threads in the National forums that discuss how to fix the noise, simply use the search engine at the top of the page.

humming/drone/whistle at 60-65 mph

If it ends up being a tire problem, others will chime in and give advice.

Good luck!

Bruce

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SirScottAlot

I have the same problem and I have new tires on my rig. I think it's the front grill making the noise. It starts at about 45 mph and quits at about 50 mph. Next trip out, I'm going to try some kind of deflector on the driver side grill to see if that makes a difference.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
SirScottAlot, thanks for the response, I was going to swap the front tire right to left to see if the noise followed the tire. I notice it coming from the front drivers side of the coach, could be because I am sitting in the pilot seat. I have heard/read about others doing something to the front grill to lessen noise, but not sure what to do if that turns out to be the problem.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been searching for the thread concerning this issue, but so far have had no luck. I have read about rubber stoppers cut to fit the round metal bars in the front grill, hopefully other National owners will remember where the thread is and help out.

I do remember somebody simply removing the grill and going on a test drive, when that eliminated the sound they knew that was the issue.

I am still searching for the thread. . . . .

Bruce
Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard a cyclical humming noise when our a/c is running.....5 seconds on and 5 seconds off. Might be a/c clutch or.........?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you use the search engine and enter "harmonic resonance", you can read other threads from various other moho brands with similar issues and some potential fixes. I am so sorry, but I still cannot find the National thread that discussed this very issue last summer.

humming/drone/whistle at 60-65 mph

Bruce
Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I have heard a cyclical humming noise when our a/c is running.....5 seconds on and 5 seconds off. Might be a/c clutch or.........?
Thanks I will check this out
Old 03-04-2015, 02:41 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Firebug for looking, I will certainly try the search to see what comes up..
Old 03-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Noise Problem Found

Had to take the MH in to get some towing gear today. Prior to leaving, I removed the front grill on the unit and no noise, nada, none. Now I just have to figure out how to put the grill back on without it making the noise....
Old 03-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Had to take the MH in to get some towing gear today. Prior to leaving, I removed the front grill on the unit and no noise, nada, none. Now I just have to figure out how to put the grill back on without it making the noise....
Glad you figured it out. The thread I have been looking for had a fix just for the Nat'l moho's, some type of rubber shaped to squeeze in between the bars on the grill. Others have wrapped bungee cords, some have even bent them slightly to break the resonance. Hopefully, others will remember the location of the missing thread. If not, let us know what you try.

Bruce
Old 03-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Just a thought here, our 2004 Dolphin has two cooling fans, only one runs but when its needs to the second fan will kit in and I can here it when it does!!!

David
Old 03-30-2015, 05:04 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Smile Kinda Solved

I removed the front grill noise went away. I purchased all new stainless steel hardware. Place a small amount of mounting tape on the tops of the grill where it was rubbing against the body. Reinstalled grill and ensure it fit tight. Noise almost completely gone, can still hear it very little at approx. 35 mph, but much improved.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I removed the front grill noise went away. I purchased all new stainless steel hardware. Place a small amount of mounting tape on the tops of the grill where it was rubbing against the body. Reinstalled grill and ensure it fit tight. Noise almost completely gone, can still hear it very little at approx. 35 mph, but much improved.
Hi, John.

Did you replace the metal tubes, or put anything inside them? If you get a chance, post a pic of the finished product. Glad you figured it out!

Bruce

Tags
dolphin