RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Dolphin Power Awning

We have a 2005 National RV Dolphin 5342 Limited Edition motorhome that came with a Dometic WeatherPro Power Awning. This awning has its control box located in a basement compartment right under the refrigerator. The wind sensor system has never worked. Placing the switch on the control box to the "enabled" position causes a constant beeping and within 30 sec. the awning automatically retracts.
Investigation disclosed the absence of the wiring between the control box and the roof mounted wind detector (it is there). This flat, RJ-11-6C4P telephone style cable is gone and has never been there!
For those of you with this, or similar National RV motorhome, would you please look in the locations I mentioned above and confirm your unit has the cable in question and see if you can describe how it is routed between the roof mounted wind sensor and the control box?
Thank you in advance.

Ron Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Did you pull the roof sensor and confirm there is no cable up at the roof?
If you haven't, I would do that first. I would also run a temp cable from the unit to the roof sensor and confirm it is functional before I bothered trying to replace the cable. My cable looked like it was going over to the side wall in the vicinity of the forward awning arm, but I cut the head off of it and capped the hole with a powder coated aluminum disk I fabricated for the purpose. I did not try and remove it.
You should be able to find some old threads on here from others with issues with your series of sensor. It is a poor design that didn't perform well and was expensive to replace when it failed.
Mine died several years ago and I took the advice of others on here and did without.
I recently bought the upgrade control box, the awning arm mounted sensor and a remote on EBay . I bought it for $20.00 more than Dometic wanted for a replacement remote, which was what I really needed.
I have not installed the new wind sensor and can't decide whether or not to do it
I was thinking of asking for feedback on here from others who have that model of sensor to verify it's reliability before I install the new cable, so if somebody wants to comment about that, please do!
Mike

MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #3

Thank you Mike for your reply.
No, I haven't checked the wind sensor end yet, that's my next step. I am seriously considering the same route you took and just not use the wind sensor and never leave the awning open when unattended or when there is the slightest amount of wind.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Ron, did you visually verify there isn't a cable plugged into the control box? Ours had the same beeping indication, it was a bad rooftop sensor.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Fred,

Yes, I did visually confirm the cable is not there.

Ron
Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can have mine. A mear whisper of wind, brings the awning in. I've had the switch in the off position since new.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Thanks for the response, Rick. Your's seems to be the most universal response I've received. I don't think I've received a single comment on this forum or another I posted to talking about how great the wind monitor is.
I've decided to just keep my switch disabled and I'll be the wind detector and retract the awning manually.

Ron
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a good idea that does not work very well. The one thing that does work if you have it out during rain the rear arm will kneel down to dump the water off the awning. Have it on my 5th wheel, not the Dolphin.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

Hi Ron,

Just saw your post. I have the same RV as you. One day I was poking around and wanted to checkout the wind sensor. I did not find a sensor on the roof so I thought I would order and install one. I looked around for the cable and there is not one to be found. However after some searching I decided that since there are so many reported problems with the sensors I decided against installing one. I know... a long answer to tell you no cable, just didn't want you to feel left out.

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My sensor is at the top of the forward arm.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #11

Bill,
Thanks for your reply. It doesn't surprise me to hear that your unit doesn't have the cable installed. It does surprise me that you don't even have the wind sensor on the roof.

Chuck,

I didn't know the Weatherpro power awnings were available in 1999. From posts here, and at other places on the Net, placing the wind sensor on the forward arm was and improvement made by A&E to correct the unreliability of the roof mounted sensor.
Does your wind sensor work reliably enough for you to regularly use it or do you closely watch the weather and retract it manually at the first hint of a breeze?

Ron
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
The good thing about no sensor on the roof is that he doesn't have a hole to cover!
I am also curious about the performance of the arm mounted sensor.
As I said earlier, I have one but have not installed it because I don't know if it is worth the effort!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Donna View Post
Chuck,
I didn't know the Weatherpro power awnings were available in 1999. From posts here, and at other places on the Net, placing the wind sensor on the forward arm was and improvement made by A&E to correct the unreliability of the roof mounted sensor.
Does your wind sensor work reliably enough for you to regularly use it or do you closely watch the weather and retract it manually at the first hint of a breeze?
Ron
Ron,
The weatherpro is actually on my 94 Avion 5er it was aready on it when we bought it 7 years ago. I replaced the sensor when we bought it. I have the control set at 12 mph, the lowest setting. Have never seen it retract automatically. When I see the awning start flapping pretty good I stow it manually. I never leave it out when we're not around, from what I have read some people have had their awning destroyed when the wind comes up and it does not retract.

Chuck

Tags
awning, dolphin, power