RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #1

Double trouble, 2004 Dolphin

First problem is my battery box floor separated and batteries are falling out. Is there any quick solution as I'm a full timer.
My second problem is the basement AC was working fine then abruptly stopped. It's going to be over 100 here in the desert and I can't get it going. The thermostat clicks on but then nothing. Filter and coills we're cleaned recently. Circut breakers ok so where could the problem be besides a frozen compressed. I'm hooked up to 50 amp shore power. Nothing has changed in 6 months.

edrudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cut a piece of 3/4 inch Marine plywood to fit the battery Box frame. A temporary fix.

Many AC compressors have a thermal cutout switch, mounted on the compressor, that has to be manually reset. Check for that. Good luck. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #3

Thanks.
The plywood inside makes the batteries to high. Can't drop the step. Thinkinking of aluminum in each tray with wood outside on bottom with wide aluminum braces to htm. And sides after I remove the batts. And jack up the htm.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
U have a 2x4 brace under my battery compartment...seems to work well so far.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #5

Double trouble

What I've done so far is place a 1"x12"x24" board under the boxfloor which I've jacked up and pulled the batts. out. I've made 3 6" wide aluminum 90 deg brackets, One for the back and one on each side. Also have made 3 aluminum plates each 11"x6" which will be placed under each battery. A 1'x12"x24" board will go against the back wall of the box on the outside. My final step after a good cleaning will be to re-glass the broken area over the boards and brackets.

If this doesnt work I'll jack er up, pull the wheels and engine and turn it into a guest house and go dancing.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #6

Unhappy double trouble

Well double trouble has been solved. Put Aluminum in each of the 3 trays and aluminum brackets on the outside attached to the walls of the box and re glassed the bottom half of the box. Better and stronger then new. As for the basement AC. I picked up some green filter material from Home Depot, cut it to size and after 2 days down I flipped the AC switch and lo and behold, the AC fired right up and has been running for two weeks now, trouble free.
Thank you all for your help and posts.
Now my ive maker problems. Never stops.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:35 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
hi, hwat was the green filter for and how did you use it. Txs
Akwoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #8

double trouble

Re: material I used for the air filter on the air intake on the basement air conditioner.
I found it at home depot where the furnace air filters are. Its a green color about 1 inch thick and 2' by 3' and less then $3.00 as I recall. I used the old filter for size, cut the new material and put it in place. No frame required. The air conditioner breathes better then new and period checks show the filter remains in place.
Hope this helps you.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Regarding battery compartment, I had same issue and what I did was took aluminum angle stock from local home center and made support frame for battery compartment bottom, 2 pieces across bottom, front to back of coach, and bolted them to four other pieces which I through bolted to the sides of the compartment. Has held up great now for 3 years.

Good luck with yours, obviously those compartments were not well designed, lacking any reinforcement to the fiberglass, lots of weight in there.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin