Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #1

We drove in the rain last Friday to go to the RV Park. Started setting up and discovered all my storage bins surrounding my rear wheels were wet on the bottom. Right side behind the wheels was completly soaked. Right side forward was wet to damp to the middle of the coach. Left side was wet to damp up to about 1/3 the way. Based on the rings on the storage doors, the seals look to be sealing all around.
First, how many have this problem?
Second, what recommendations do you have to find and seal the leaks?

Luckily, most of the stuff in the bins was stored in plastic bins but the stuff that wasn't got pretty soaked. The bins are supposed to be sealed...right? I would love to call the factory but we all know that is no longer an option.
A friend suggested I turn on the bin lights and see if I can spot any light leaks. I will try that but are there any other suggestions as they would be quite helpful.
And no, I will not put a hose inside the bin and see where it leaks out(as suggested by another friend as a joke)
Thanks,
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #2

We drove in the rain last Friday to go to the RV Park. Started setting up and discovered all my storage bins surrounding my rear wheels were wet on the bottom. Right side behind the wheels was completly soaked. Right side forward was wet to damp to the middle of the coach. Left side was wet to damp up to about 1/3 the way. Based on the rings on the storage doors, the seals look to be sealing all around.
First, how many have this problem?
Second, what recommendations do you have to find and seal the leaks?

Luckily, most of the stuff in the bins was stored in plastic bins but the stuff that wasn't got pretty soaked. The bins are supposed to be sealed...right? I would love to call the factory but we all know that is no longer an option.
A friend suggested I turn on the bin lights and see if I can spot any light leaks. I will try that but are there any other suggestions as they would be quite helpful.
And no, I will not put a hose inside the bin and see where it leaks out(as suggested by another friend as a joke)
Thanks,
Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #3

Mike:

We had the same situation with or 03 Trop when we fist got it. The Lakeland Techie solved it by climbing into the bins and having me close the door. He had two tar based aerosol cars that when sprayed expanded and filled holes. He went nuts with that on any spot that light could get through. Problem solved.

He said that National claimed the bins were water resistant not water proof.

I can not remember the name of the product but if you go to Pep Boys etc they will be able to help you.

Joe
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #4

I have the same problem. The National tech told me to use Spray Body Undercoating and Deadener. Got it at a NAPA parts store. The leaking light trick was also suggested. I found, while on the road with wet stored supplies, I could at least get them up off the floor by placing them on Lynx Levelers. Anything similar would work. Just a couple of inches off floor kept them dry.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2003 leaked same as yours around the wheel wells front and rear. Found many gaps in weldings around comparments near the rubber seals. RTV silicone on those places stopped a lot of the leaks.

Read somewhere that NRV explicitly denied compartments to be water tight soon after my purchase.

They did however go thru motions to check and reseal, claiming no leaks could be found in their rain test chamber.

After wards more persistent leaks were found where wire harnesses and propane plumbing passed thru bulkheads into the wheel wells.

I have used polyurethane roof sealant from Home Depot on every seam I could find underneath all compartments.

Compartments are still not water proof after 5 years of chasing them down.

Wheel well on rear curbside persists. Haven't had too much wet weather driving exposure so not too bad an issue.

Planned but didn't install a splash diverter in the wheel well.

Best way to fix is DIY IMO.

Marty
Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Our 07 Pacifica has been in several times for wet storage compartments. There must be so many leaks under there. Because each time the techs swore they found all the leaks, but a good rainy drive said they were wrong every time One day I will stuff my big self in there with some sealent, have Patti shine my killer spot light around and see what I can see. I'm just affraid she won't let me out when were finished

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #7

Thanks all. I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. Looks like I will be off to a NAPA store in the near future. I figured it would be more undercoating that was needed.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Above your compartments "DOORS" you have a seam that follows the floor line of coach front to back of coach. If you run a sealent alone the top of this seam it may stop your compartments from getting wet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #9

007, Thank you on the suggestion. I don't remember seeing any water coming down the sides or back of the bins but I will surely take a look at those too.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check seam above doors.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #11

I finally got around to working with the Undercoating I mentioned in previous post. The passenger side basement compartments have a overlapping seam on the forward side, on the rear portion of the wheelwells. I sprayed a liberal coating into and over the seam, leaving a protective covering over it. When I opened the rear basement cover, the undercoating had entered the compartment, but was stopped by the rubber gasket. Obviously this was at least one place the water was entering. I followed with an application to the forward compartment, behind the right front wheel. Thats when the can ran dry. I intend to get another can and treat the drivers side compartments, although they had not been a problem.
If you decide to try this product, wear eye protection, and gloves. Mask off any areas to be protected, it's messy to work with. But cleans up with soap and water.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #12

Bill, Thanks for the update. I did some investigating also. I turned on the bin lights at night and closed the bin doors and with a quick walk around, I did not see any light. I have nto had a chance to do that again with a real through look. I also plan to do like someone also suggested. Crawl in a bin with a bright light and see if the wife can see any light escaping. In crawling around underneath, I did see where it looked like some thick plastic sheeting was stapled to the underside of the bins. There were several spots where there were exposed seams of patches with exposed edges. I will be sealing them up too but that would not explain some of the water in other areas.
Thanks also for the hints on protective clothing. Undercoating is messy stuff.
I will not be getting to this till after the new year.