Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
dvd player hook up

I have a 98 Sea Breeze and want to hook up a dvd player along with the vcr from my switch box in the cabinet above the passengers seat. I was told that if I ran a rf modulator wired in from the switch box that I could use either the vcr or dvd player depending on which component was powered up. I tried to wire in the dvd player but am not getting any picture or sound from either the front or rear tv. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I am using a GE av23298 rf modulator and will try to post a picture of the switch box that gives the option of front or rear tv.
Thanks
superprocama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #2

Seems to me switch box is coax for video. RF modulator is for audio running RF signal through radio. I am no expert but think you are trying to do what RF modulator was not designed to do.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would first plug the VCR and DVD into the inputs on the modulator. Set the output to ch3, then the output dirctly to the front TV. With the TV on ch3, see what you get. Then to the same with the rear TV. This will then tell you the system works.

Now plug the modulator output to an input on the switch box. Select that input and the front TV, making sure it's on ch3, then do the same for the rear. Take note of any picture and sound quality using the switchbox. If this switchbox was the original, you're probably going to suffer signal lose, I did on my '99.

Be aware that using the modulator to manage CATV may not work without special filters. If so, that should be in the manual.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Hey super, I know what’s going on but not sure I can explain it all in text….I’m from Louisiana and since I type the way I talk and can’t use hand gestures, it’ll be tough….but here goes…….lol

It sounds like you may just have an output or input flipped....you will need the RF modulator as that converts the "output" DVD signal from the RCA jacks (yellow, white, red) to the coaxial cable "input" you'll need to connect to the switch box....if there is an extra “input” on the back of the box for an additional device such as a DVD player....you would need 4 “inputs” total....1 for batwing, 1 for cable, 1 for VCR and 1 for DVD player.....and there are 2 “outputs” to each TV also....once all are connected, you can select which signal to send to which TV on the front of the switch....the fact that one is powered up or not doesn't have anything to do with where the signal comes from or where it goes.....the switch does that based on what you selected...

Now, if you only have 3 “inputs” (1 for batwing, 1 for cable, 1 for VCR) you will either have to use the VCR "input" for the DVD "input" and abandon the VCR, or you can buy a smaller 2 channel selector switch that you could switch between the VCR and DVD “inputs” as needed.....just a couple bucks at Radio Shack….

I just reread all that and it seems kinda confusing but know it can be done…you’re on the right track….if you post a pic of the front and back of the switch, I can tell you where to plug it all so it works…..how’s that?......LOL
-LB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
dvd hook up

-LB-,I think I understand what you are saying and will try what you said. I know it can be done and it's just a matter of figuring it out. I do have another input on my switch box that has nothing hooked up to it so I will try it in conjunction with the rf modulator.
Thanks for your assistance and will keep you informed. : )
superprocama is offline   Reply With Quote