RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Efficiency on Pulling 7x14 Tandem Axle trailer on Cat 330 DP?

Hey everyone!

Iím getting a 7 x 14 double axle enclosed cargo trailer today. I plan on pulling it behind my 2003 national trade winds 40 foot DP, cat 330.

Iíve heard it with this engine, it really shouldnít even affect the efficiency, but I wanted to check to see if anybody has any insight. The trailer is rated for 7000lbs GVW, and I doubt I will ever be fully loaded to that weight. But, for sake of Max planning, letís consider dragging the trailer at full GVW.

Also, with the brake system on the MH, do I need the brake controller for the trailer? I know thatís probably a stupid question, and the answer is probably yes. But, I donít really know. With the brake controller, is there anything specifically that I need to do wiring wise to get the controller into the rig? T with the brake controller, is there anything specifically that I need to do wiring wise to get the controller into the rig? The MH has the seven prong plug built right into the bumper

Thanks guys! Safe travels!

JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

My friend pulls a 24 ft enclosed with his tracker inside, as well as a small boat and fishing stuff. He pulls it with a 2004 National Tropical with the 330 cat. He says he hardly notices it back there, and fuel economy is not much different than without. I cant help with trailer wiring.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
That is excellent info winniman, I have heard that exact thing with this engine. There is enough power in the engine that you never feel the weight behind it. As far as the wiring goes, I know the trailer wiring all the way up to the break, I was just wondering if there is something different with regards to connecting the brake pedal to the controller. I don’t really think there is, but I figured I would ask well I am active in a post.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I have a 2006 Tropical with the CAT 350hp. I installed a Tekonsha electric brake controller and a Tekonsha 3027-P Brake Control Wiring Adapter for Freightliner. I got them both off Amazon. The wiring adapter plugged into a connector under the dash near the steering column and was labeled brake controller. I would think yous is the same setup. Thatís all I needed to have the electric brakes to work out of my rear trailer plug.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks very much for your reply Bigger! I'll get under the dash and see what I got for sure. that'll make things WAY easy!

Thanks!
Justin
Old 05-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #6

Trailering

I pull a 20' all steel car hauler and car with my 330HP Cat. Mileage doesn't change and you can barely feel the trailer. It does feel a little 'spunkier' when I'm not pulling something, which is rare.

Tags
cat, trailer