Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
MP

National RV Owners Club
When plugged into electricity is it best to leave the water heater on all the time, or turn it off and on when hot water is needed? Which way is better for long life of the water heater?
MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being we full time, we leave ours on all the time, unless we are traveling, (not in the coach), then we turn it off. It hasn't seemed to hurt it yet and have been doing it this way for three years. It cycles off and on by demand. On occasion I even turn on the lp and electric at the same time to aid in the recovery time if back to back showers are needed.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
MP

National RV Owners Club
We do not full time, but we do spend time at places for 1 to 3 months at a time. This is when I am wondering if it is best to leave, or not leave, the water heater on all the time.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would leave it on when you are using the coach during your 3 month stays. I would turn it off when you park and store the coach. No need to have hot water at the ready then. When stored, I would run all systems at least once a month.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MP,
The coah HWH is treated the same as the stick house HWH. I see no difference in the coach HWH and my house HWH. Set it and forget it. When not using the stick house, I turn the HWH off. The same is true for the coach.

When a boost is needed, like previously posted, I use the propane in addition to the electric. This combo provides a really nice recovery time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
if you have the workhorse- winnebago supplemental water heater system that routes engine coolant through a heat exchanger in the water heater, turn off the electric heater element while driving and leave it off until the water in the water heater runs cool.
the engine coolant will heat the water to 195 deg and the "eco overheat switch" will trip and then the electric element will not work until you reset it on the backside of the water heater. if the electric switch is off, this will not happen. it is a real pita to reset.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
paz

The electric heater will not heat the water up nearly as fast as propane. If you turn it off, you will need to turn it back on well in advance of when you anticipate needing hot water. For that reason, it's better to just leave it on when operating the water heater on electricity. Ours has been on almost continuously now for almost 3 years of full-timing.

Just remember to turn off the electric heater if you drain the water heater for any reason - like to inspect or replace the anode rod (if you have one), to clean the sediment out of the water heater, or to winterize. The heating element will burn out in seconds if it is turned on and not submerged in water.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
When using propane I turn it off. With electricty I never turn it off unless we are leaving the coach for a few days then I normally flip the breaker or disconnect the electricty anyway just as a safety precausion.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
MP

National RV Owners Club
Thank you for all the help, I think I know what to do now.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your welcome. You got the same answer three times. Seems like a would be ok to leave it on.