Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
my m/h has the freedom 458 inverter charger with 4 6v batts and all the related gizmos. there is a solinoid in the inverter compartment that connects the house n start batteries when the charger is on. here in lies the gremlin. when the charger is turned off the solinoid stays activated so all the batts see each other all the time. and there is a draw on the house batts. is there another solinoid or relay or somethin somewhere else that is not releasing when the charger is shut off? thanks very much. dave
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

Dave, I am not up on a 2007 Dolphin but I would be surprise if NRV would use a solenoid to hook the two batteries together for charging purposes. The house and motor batteries are normally hooked together for charging via a diode isolation block. Now on my earlier and other later Dolphins there is a solenoid that hooks the house and motor batteries together via a "Start Boost" spring loaded switch on the dash. This is designed to allow you to boost the motor battery with the house battery if needed for starting the motor. You might want to check that switch on the dash and make sure it is not stuck in the on position. The other thing to do is disconnect the small wire that goes to that solenoid that is used for control and see if that solenoid turns off. If it stays on then maybe that solenoid has gone bad. You can also check to see if you have 12 volts at the end of that small wire. Do you have a wiring diagram for the MH?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Canter:----
Now on my earlier and other later Dolphins there is a solenoid that hooks the house and motor batteries together via a "Start Boost" spring loaded switch on the dash. This is designed to allow you to boost the motor battery with the house battery if needed for starting the motor. --------
I cannot say for sure about the 2007 NRVs. However earlier NRVs such as my 2003 do indeed connect both sets of batteries together when ever either battery set is at some specified voltage around 13.2-13.5volts as when being charged and the other set is at a lower voltage. There is also a time delay function so that the solenoid does not connect all the batteries and overly load the engine alternator after first starting the engine. The time delay seems to work in both directions and can be defeated by using the dash switch. The same delay also occurs when powering down the charging systems.

The 2007 dc distribution panel is different then mine but may be similar. On it is a 1 amp fuse that will disable the solenoid see--- http://www.irv2.com/photopost/...8&cat=500&ppuser=337

Hope this helps .

Marty
Old 02-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
thanks for replies. the solinoid is working properly. there is a delay on battery charger startup. but on shutdown the activation wire for solinoid stays hot. the only way to get it to release is to disconect house batteries. if i knew where the delay thing is located i could check it out. any ideas?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #5

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally posted by cannon man:
thanks for replies. the solinoid is working properly. there is a delay on battery charger startup. but on shutdown the activation wire for solinoid stays hot. the only way to get it to release is to disconect house batteries. if i knew where the delay thing is located i could check it out. any ideas?
I would say it is included in the 12V power distribution panel. Try looking in the compartment just forward of the entrance door. While I am not sure, I believe the relay is marked and sits behind a circuit board.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by cannon man:
Cannon Man,
I would guess that your solenoid cutout IS working properly. Try doing what I describe below..

I just went out to check mine as I have been evaluating my battery remaining life. The batteries are fully charged- both chassis and coach- and floating at about 13.5 volts. The solenoid is activated and battery banks are tied together. I shut down all sources of charging current. The solenoid remained on. This is because the surface charge in the batteries doesn't allow the voltage to drop below the solenoid cutoff voltage right away. In fact it didn't budge for more then 10 minutes. So I turned on some coach lights and my basement lights to burn the surface charge off. took about 5 minutes to draw down to about12.75 volts at which time the solenoid opened and separated the two battery banks.

There is a small round adjustable trim pot on the lower left corner of the solenoid circuit board that affects the trip in and out voltage levels but I am not aware of the limits to use. I understand some one else on this forum has contacted the company that makes this board and they were helped out.

Marty
Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
thanks marty. taking navigator to farmers market so will check later today. also will look for trim pot. was hoping this was another case of pilot error. this all started with the death of the start battery. but i think that is related to the too high charging rate of the alternator. but thats another story.
dave
Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #9

Marty has it right, at least as far as the 2003 Dophin. Whenever either my starter battery of my house batteries reach 13.2 volts, the solinoid closes and the two banks are hooked together. Also, on mine, whenever either side gets down to 12.7 volts, the solinoid opens. The pupose of this is two take advantage of whatever charge source is available and also to prevent one side from discharging the other.

Now, having said all that, cannon man you are right. The alterator on mine puts out 14.7 volts, and with that high a voltage, both sides are hooked together and it results in excessive gassing in both banks. This is a death sentence to a sealed battery like the AC Delco that is standard on the WH. Water can be added to the house batteries but not the starter battery. To alleviate this problem, I pulled the one amp fuse Marty refers to, put the two legs of the fuse socket on a pair of wires (with a new fuse holder in one of the wires) and ran the pair up to the dash where there was an unused switch I could connect to. Now, when I am driving I can disable that part of the circuit that interconnects the two battery banks to prevent the high voltage charge to the house batteries. I also replaced the AC Delco battery with a non-sealed battery from WalMart.

Bob, wa7hra

PS:Marty, hope to see you at the WH Rally in Bakersfield.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Marty wins the prize. it is working properly. gremlin is no more. thanks so much.. now the charging rate. this is my second workhorse. they are boath the same. charging at 14.6 to 14.8. adding lots of water. no reason for that high rate that i know of. asked workhorse, they said take it in. i did. they told shop no problem. my plan now is to remove alternator n have regulator replaced with an adjustable one. i also replaced my start batt with one i can add water to. thanks again.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
cm,
I get a lot of useful info from these forums. Its good to give back when I can.

cm, are you going to the WH rally at Bakersfield?

Marty

PS: Bob, I am signed up for Bakersfield. We'll get together there.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
marty. cannot make it to bakersfield. too many dumb projects. life used to be a lot simpler. thanks again.
dave