RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Emergency fire exits in our 2003 Dolphin ??

Did a search and nothing came up

So...it finally dawned on me to check this out in case we cannot get out the door due to fire/smoke.

The Owner's Guide says ".....located in the rear bedroom on the driver's side" Nope, there is a sliding window over the bed on the passenger side and a nice big 38x24 one-piece window in the bedroom on the rear panel.

I noticed on this one-piece window, on the left frame, a slit about 4 inches that is covered with black rubber sealant. Could this be, or have been, a place to mount a emergency handle or release so this entire window could pop out?

There is, in the main coach, over the dinette on the driver's side, a sliding window with a RED handle. No doubt an exit...but not mentioned in our Owner's Guide. This would be a difficult exit. Would not want to go into this area anyway, if there is a fire.

To anyone who has a 2003 LX 6355......do you have the big one-piece rear facing window....with a latch or release to pop the whole thing out?

Alternatively, could the big window be re-mounted to pop out? I hesitate to give this window a kick or push to see what happens. I will probably end up going to a RV glass specialty shop or a knowledgeable RV service department......unless someone out there can elucidate.

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess if you had a fire in the front end it wouldn't take me too long to kick that rear window out.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks like the emergency exit is the window over the bed in the slide. In this link of a 2003 Dolphin LX 6355 for sale, an EXIT sign can be seen under the window above the bed.

2003 - National - Dolphin LX - 6355 - Class A Gas - Tucson - AZ - Details

What puzzles me is that puts the exit on the same side as the door, so in an accident, you could have the exits blocked, if for instance it rolled onto the right side. I guess that's why the second exit in the dinette area. I't good that you're scoping it out, too often people don't think about an emergency exit until they need it. I've shown my wife ours and we've opened it to be sure it's not caulked shut.

Neither exit is easy to get out, they are emergency only. Some people keep an emergency escape ladder near by to facilitate exit from the coach.

Emergency escape ladder - TheFind

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you, BF....for your post.

I looked at the sliding window over our headboard and......no red latch and no EXIT placard.

In the Dolphin link you sent......plain black latch over the dinette. Oh, well !

My current questions is: After you slide open one-half of any sliding window, is one expected to push our the screen and exit via the one-half window......or does one kick the entire window out and exit thus ?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm sure the screen can be removed or pushed out easily if you fit out the window half opening. I doubt if you could kick out the whole window, they are pretty firmly screwed into a flange on the outside and inside edges. Perhaps your window is meant to be an exit as is, but strange it's not labeled.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
My 2003 Dolphin LX 6342 has the window over the bed headboard marked with a red EXIT sign and the window latch is also red. The window screens all slide back, just as the window slides back. Don't think the rear window is meant as an exit. Had mine broken by brick thrown by vandals and it made a real mess inside with the shattered safety glass. Glass remaining around the frame would do some damage if you tried to crawl out. Just my thoughts!
DASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I talked to Jeff of MotionWindows in WA who specialize in RV glass. He said take a hammer and break the tempered glass on the big rear window, hang on to the frame and drop down.

Did I get all worked up over nothing? Tempered glass shatters into pebbles says Jeff, not sharp shards.

Is Jeff right?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
All glass in vehicles is supposed to be safety glass. It is tempered so that it breaks into little nuggets when broken. Jeff is right. Get an emergency hammer (google it) and stow it near rear window. You might have to use the hammer to 'sweep' glass from window channel before exiting, but it is an emergency exit. Tempered glass is designed to resist breaking, a hand or elbow probably won't work.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your blanket or spread thrown over the window frame will help protect you from getting all cut up. EEK

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2003 Dolphin LX model 6356 that has the same bedroon and bath area as your. In mine, the red handle is the latch that opens the window over the bed (that's in the slide). I often wondered how I'd get out of the window in of a fire. I agree the rear window would be a better option. I keep a tool in the bedroom in case I ever had to break it out I could.

Don
Dom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Dom: What tool do you have stashed away? Orange plastic hammer with two points or a carpenter's hammer? Or a ball peen hammer? Or a 8# sledge?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Scooter,

It's a miniature ax/hammer combo tool in a nice sheath. I bought in Yellowstone, I keep it in my nightstand in the bedroom.

Don
Old 03-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dom: You jogged my fading memory. In my toolbox IN THE RV, is the Red Viking 11 tools in 1, farm tool. Bought it in 1968 when I moved to Napa, CA. Used it a lot on the big ranch I lived on, renting, until 1982 when I moved away and stuck it in the bottom of my tool box. (even has a bottle cap opener).

By chance, is this the one you have?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Scooter,

I'm not sure what brand it is, but yes, it's like a Swiss Army Knife with a small hatchet & hammer and a variety of knives and misc. tools like a Leatherman multi-tool would have.

Don

Tags
dolphin