Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

EMS Display

my EMS display panel is reading 0 amps even if i turn the furnace on or the
tv? is there a battery in this unit that needs replaced? i thought it was
hardwired? In the past it has always displayed the amps whenever i turn
on anything in the coach like the tv or furnace or microwave or ac?

thanks for any insight
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
An Electrical Management System usually only displays the 120v Amps being drawn from the shore cord. Can you tell us the make, model of the EMS you have?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #3

yes

it is in a 99 seaview 31 ft F53 chassis i am plugged in to shore power and it still
reads 0 amps??? thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
So is this a load shedding energy management system? Most Electrical management systems are different than an Energy Management System.

Xantrex is a maker of Energy Management Systems, one of many manufacturers. This type of EMS monitors power into an RV and if more items are trying to run than the pedestal can handle, the EMS shuts down circuits so you don't pop a breaker. They often have a display panel that shows electrical usage.

Progressive Industries and TRC make Electrical Management Systems, this type of EMS monitors the quality of the power coming into the RV. If it's outside of preset parameters, the power is shut down. They also prevent voltage surges from damaging your RV electrical items. They also have displays and often remote displays that show volts, amps, etc.

You're going to have to determine what type of EMS you have. I suspect it's the Load shedding energy managing type. You'll have to figure out the make and model of the unit and search online for a manual and perhaps a troubleshooting guide that can help you determine if it's working or needs repair.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
As pointed out above it will only show 120 volt power being used. Furnace runs on 12 volt and if batteries are fully charged may be minimal draw.

Are you sure you have shore power making it through. Microwave working? That should also draw enough to make display change.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you plugged into 50 amps?

Two statements: The Furnace eats 12 volt, The EMS reports on 120V only.

Second, the amps reading is measured on the NEUTRAL line, when plugged into 50 amps this reading is basically meaningless since it is NOT the total current but the difference between L-1 and L-2,

Thus they simply shut it off when hooked to 50 amps.

now if you are on 30 amps. the display will show the current.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #7

i am plugged into 30 amp only. and it reads o. it is the original 99 national EMS unit.

maybe it is time to replace it?? unless a wire came loose? it just reads 0 amps even
if the tv is on? thanks
Old 01-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. seaview View Post
i am plugged into 30 amp only. and it reads o. it is the original 99 national EMS unit.

maybe it is time to replace it?? unless a wire came loose? it just reads 0 amps even
if the tv is on? thanks
Besides the display not showing amp usage, is it not shedding loads when you try to turn on more than 30 amps of appliances? National is an extinct RV maker, they did not make the EMS unit, they bought it and installed it. Look for identifying manufacturer, model information, maybe behind the display panel to find the true source. Then you can Google that information and find a manual for the unit.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

I think I have the same 30A EMS management system as you. Here’s a link to the manual, maybe it will help.
http://www.mikerobotics.com/Intellit...300912.000.pdf
Old 01-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #10

thank u so much. yes this is the same model as mine. intellic 500 model.

i know fuse is not blown as i am getting power to the unit as it lights up and i can
switch back and forth from 30 am[ to 20. but led gauge just seems to read o amps
even if i turn on my coffee maker or microwave oven???

i will look underneath motorhome and see if a breaker has tripped and needs to be
reset? otherwise i dont know what else to do? thanks again for your help.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #11

Sea View - EMS display

Hi, I see you had the same problem as we are having now. Our EMS display is showing 0 and does not change when it should.

How did you solve your issue? What was the problem?

Thanks
Tomservo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:12 AM   #12

Disconnect from shore power for a minute and then reconnect. EMS should reset.

Tags
ems