RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
engine boost switch

We have a 97 Dolphin, and I left the map lights on a couple months ago, while removing the seats, needless to say battery dead. I tried the engine boost switch which I thought switched over to the house batteries which were fully charged and nothing worked. I thought this is what this was for if you ran down the start battery u could still start engine. I could in emergency have used jumper cabels and maybe started, but was at home in garage. Just lucky I didn't really need it. How is this supposed to work?

pjtaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

What it does is uses a solenoid to tie the house and chassis batteries together with the momentary switch.
You might have a bad switch, bad solenoid, or who knows what else.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #3

On mine it is a rocker switch has to be held in the on position when you try starting the engine. Is yours that way and did you hold the switch down while trying to start the engine?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

You may have to hold the switch down for several minutes before trying to start the engine if your chassis battery is discharged. No different than with cables. If the battery is too low it needs to build up a small charge before it will work. If your starting battery went completely dead, you may need a new battery as it may no longer hold a charge.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the chassis battery was completely flat, the house batteries may not have been able to compensate.

I push and hold for ~30 seconds - then try to start the engine while continuing to hold the switch.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Start battery was completely dead after leaving map lite on for 2 months. I held the rocker switch down while trying to start but nothing happened. I put a charger on start bat over nite and all works, but would like to know how to test the engine boost switch before it is a real emergency
pjtaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Make sure house batts. are charged and then just unhook the chassis batt. There should be no power at the leads, but when you hit the button, there should be power.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
You normally should hear the solenoid "click" when you push the button (assuming your 12v distribution panel is under the passenger seat like mine). If you don't hear the click you probably have a failed solenoid. They can be replaced.
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtaxi View Post
We have a 97 Dolphin, and I left the map lights on a couple months ago, while removing the seats, needless to say battery dead. I tried the engine boost switch which I thought switched over to the house batteries which were fully charged and nothing worked. I thought this is what this was for if you ran down the start battery u could still start engine. I could in emergency have used jumper cabels and maybe started, but was at home in garage. Just lucky I didn't really need it. How is this supposed to work?
I found that my rocker sw. was bad and replaced it with a momentary push button I had on hand. I also found that the system is equipped with a ....time delay on drop out...relay, so that holding it in, is not necessary or at least for the first 30secs or so. Pull the sw and test for 12vdc on both ends of it when on. Might want to pull the load side, in case of feedback or just remove it and check with an ohmmeter.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtaxi View Post

Start battery was completely dead after leaving map lite on for 2 months. I held the rocker switch down while trying to start but nothing happened. I put a charger on start bat over nite and all works, but would like to know how to test the engine boost switch before it is a real emergency
If your chassis battery bank is completely DEAD, by using the AUX START switch, you are simply draining the house batteries into your DEAD chassis battery.

Your only hope when that happens is to start your generator and then using something to hold the AUX START switch ON, let the generator run for a few hours and your chassis battery should be charged enough to start the engine.

To know whether the AUX START switch is doing anything, have someone stand next to the bay where your Battery Isolator Relay is located and activate the switch. They should hear that relay click each time you activate it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9999 View Post
You normally should hear the solenoid "click" when you push the button (assuming your 12v distribution panel is under the passenger seat like mine). If you don't hear the click you probably have a failed solenoid. They can be replaced.

X2 had to replace the solenoid last year on 2000 national rv. i think they must go bad from lack of use. had same problem on another rv years ago.

two slides is offline   Reply With Quote