RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Evans Coolant Valve - Installed Incorrectly

2004 National Dolphin, 2003 Workhorse Chassis.

I replaced the original valve because we had hot air coming out the ducts while the A/C was on. I ordered and installed a new Evans Tempcon Coolant Valve Kit: RV218999, and put it in the same way as the original.
Well that didn't fix it, so I installed a manual shutoff valve before the Evans valve. Check out this photo, the Evans box with the heater core is on the left, on the right is the heated coolant supply hose from the engine. From what I have read from Evans Tempcon, National must have installed it wrong. Suggest the rest of you with National Dolphins from the same era check yours, if it looks like mine, you now know why your A/C doesn't work.

"2. Locate the electronic coolant valve assembly in the heater base unit compartment, near the Evans Heater-Evaporator unit (on the firewall). The electrical connector is located on the top of the actuator housing.
•3. Verify that the port on the outlet side of the valve is connected to the inlet tube on the heater coil. A flow direction indicator is located on the side of the valve to help distinguish inlet and outlet ports. Also, the inlet side of the valve is always on the same side as the harness connector. New valves also have tape wrapped around the inlet port that clearly identifies the inlet port (see the illustration at the beginning of this guide). The coolant supply hose from the engine connects to the inlet side of the valve.
–NOTE: The electronic coolant valve is a "directional" valve, and must be correctly installed, or it will not function properly.Coolant valves installed with the coolant flow reversed will leak coolant past the valve cylinder resulting in poor A/C performance. Valves that have been installed backwards should be replaced as damage to the seals can occur if the coolant flow has been applied in the wrong direction."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evans Coolant Valve 1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	245846  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are absolutely right about National mounting the control valve backwards. I replaced mine several years ago and found the same thing. I had to remount the valve in order to have the water flow through it correctly.

kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
2004 National Dolphin, 2003 Workhorse Chassis.

I replaced the original valve because we had hot air coming out the ducts while the A/C was on. I ordered and installed a new Evans Tempcon Coolant Valve Kit: RV218999, and put it in the same way as the original.
Well that didn't fix it, so I installed a manual shutoff valve before the Evans valve. Check out this photo, the Evans box with the heater core is on the left, on the right is the heated coolant supply hose from the engine. From what I have read from Evans Tempcon, National must have installed it wrong. Suggest the rest of you with National Dolphins from the same era check yours, if it looks like mine, you now know why your A/C doesn't work.

"2. Locate the electronic coolant valve assembly in the heater base unit compartment, near the Evans Heater-Evaporator unit (on the firewall). The electrical connector is located on the top of the actuator housing.
•3. Verify that the port on the outlet side of the valve is connected to the inlet tube on the heater coil. A flow direction indicator is located on the side of the valve to help distinguish inlet and outlet ports. Also, the inlet side of the valve is always on the same side as the harness connector. New valves also have tape wrapped around the inlet port that clearly identifies the inlet port (see the illustration at the beginning of this guide). The coolant supply hose from the engine connects to the inlet side of the valve.
–NOTE: The electronic coolant valve is a "directional" valve, and must be correctly installed, or it will not function properly.Coolant valves installed with the coolant flow reversed will leak coolant past the valve cylinder resulting in poor A/C performance. Valves that have been installed backwards should be replaced as damage to the seals can occur if the coolant flow has been applied in the wrong direction."
The photo shows that the inlet side is on the left and from the instructions above "the inlet side of the valve is always on the same side as the harness connector" it is installed wrong.

Tags
install, led, valve