RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Fear of delamination

I have a 2004 Seabreeze, which is now and always has been stored outside. I noticed when I bought it that the bottom of outside wall panels, near the "belt" trim ( my name for it) just above the compartment doors, is "swollen" for about an inch or two. Looks as if this is from water intrusion. I have cleaned away the seam of caulking there and put down a bead of Dicor sealant. Does not seem to be getting any worse, but worries me toward the future. Also have a couple of prominent "swelling" in the middle of the panel on the bedroom slide, these are not anywhere near a seam, window or trim piece, not sure what to make of these, do not appear to be typical delamination as they are very regular in shape, look like elongated ovals, oriented horizontally looking at coach.

Anyone else seen or have this?

Is this a precursor to delamination?

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have some delamination, at the belt line and about where the dinette is on the slide. I have been told that if the leak is corrected the problem will not get any worse. I was also told that delamination shows up worse in the heat of summer.. I hope this is correct. I do have an RV restoration guy who can repair it but I would rather use my money for traveling.
Hopefully someone with more experience will reply to this.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I have a 2004 Seabreeze, which is now and always has been stored outside. I noticed when I bought it that the bottom of outside wall panels, near the "belt" trim ( my name for it) just above the compartment doors, is "swollen" for about an inch or two. Looks as if this is from water intrusion. I have cleaned away the seam of caulking there and put down a bead of Dicor sealant. Does not seem to be getting any worse, but worries me toward the future. Also have a couple of prominent "swelling" in the middle of the panel on the bedroom slide, these are not anywhere near a seam, window or trim piece, not sure what to make of these, do not appear to be typical delamination as they are very regular in shape, look like elongated ovals, oriented horizontally looking at coach.

Anyone else seen or have this?

Is this a precursor to delamination?
Yes, I've seen it and have a little as well, but wouldn't call it delamination as per say, since it's as hard as can be and I'm under the assumption that delam is Fiberglas and wood separation that's whishy, if that's the word, that can be pushed in and then pops back out.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm in the same boat, last year I noticed a little wave on on side of my Rv. Over the winter, I resealed windows, and all vents, and redid all caulking and eternabond tape. I also put in new marker lights.

With the heavy storms last Wednesday, I now have a thermopane window that actually has water between the dual pane glass, and the wave is now looking like a oval bubble. Its not near any seams on top or bottom, its in the middle of nowhere.

Now I'm beside myself, because I don't know whether to get it fixed or not. I just put a claim in with my insurance.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I also have delamination issues. The worst part is that you don't know you have a problem until it is too late. There are ways to repair anything but most are not cheap. I had one bubble that was getting so big that I took my skill saw to the affected area cutting thru the fiberglass 1/4 " from the window to the bottom trim. I pulled the fiberglass back and the plywood was totally rotten for about three ft square. I removed the bad wood and layered in fiberglass clothe and resin, sanded smooth as possible and reglued the exterior using double groove shower surround trim to close the edges. It is not perfect but my intent was to make sure the wall integrity was supported, since the damage was on the bedroom overhang. I have pulled all windows and replaced the window putty. I also sealed all the rough window openings with liquid rubber. If the manufacturer had done that, water could never have delaminated the wall.
Don't just seal the outside with caulk!!! Any one can pull their windows and recaulk. It is not hard just time consuming.

On a side note...If anyone has water leaking down the inside wall under a window, check that the window channel felt is where it needs to be. The felt tends to move after repeated window openings. It should be under the slider window and not pushed back to the fixed window.

I am now contemplating putting thin wall diamond plate aluminum all along the coach walls under the windows and fastening the aluminum thru to the inside walls using fasteners that screw into each other. Here again my intent is wall integrity and not appearance, although it shouldn't look too bad.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I'm in the same boat, last year I noticed a little wave on on side of my Rv. Over the winter, I resealed windows, and all vents, and redid all caulking and eternabond tape. I also put in new marker lights.

With the heavy storms last Wednesday, I now have a thermopane window that actually has water between the dual pane glass, and the wave is now looking like a oval bubble. Its not near any seams on top or bottom, its in the middle of nowhere.

Now I'm beside myself, because I don't know whether to get it fixed or not. I just put a claim in with my insurance.
Is it solid or are you able to push it in and out?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Right in the middle I can push in about half an inch. I could not do that last year, everything was solid. It has been inside since we brought it back from Tucson oct, 2011. When I bout it it looked straight, last year it looked a little wavy, last Saturday I looked and it had the bulge. I sat outside through 3 rainstorms an a very near Tornado, thunderstorm.

The inside walls are all great, very solid, the ceilings also look like new.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
It will push in about 1/2. Inch.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
IS something different?

I am curious if there is something different about the construction of the wall panels on the National RV? The issue I am concerned about is at the bottom of the panels, with the exception of the wall on the bedroom slide out. At the bottom of the panel is a "swollen" area about 1-1 1/2 inch, my thinking was that water is intruding at the point of the moulding, I have sealed it with Dicor last year, but looks like it may be growing. Not knowing how the panel is constructed, I assume it is layers of foam, plywood and exterior fiberglass, is so I am assuming the issue I have is the wood swelling from moisture. Makes me wonder why they don't seal the panel ends when they are manufactured and/or cut, seems like that would eliminate this problem.

The area I speak of is HARD, can not push in, and nothing appears loose. I just want to stop it where it is and avoid any further damage or delamination. Thinking I can't be the only one with this. I will get pictures next time at MH and post.

Oh, by the way, on the bedroom slide the same issue is evident in the middle of the panel about a foot below windows for a length of about 4 feet horizontally about 2 inches wide, very regular shape, 2 sections sort of oval in shape. Not sure what this is about.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #10

I'm beginning to develop this here and there as well and it's solid, so I'm not calling this delamination as per say, just yet and more like what trode is describing.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #11

I also am getting the waive swelling along the bottom panel. Like others I have caulked everything and it seems to be stabilized. I see it every time I pass by the coach, it makes me a little sick if I think about it too much.

So any update on this issue? Has anyone cut into the area to see what's going on? Is it possible that it is caused by condensation in the wall?

Robby

Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote