Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Fiberglass roof cracks

My 2008 National Seabreeze 34' Motorhome has visible cracks in the fiberglass roof. The roof seal along the front and rear edges also seem to have some weakness. Our local dealer says that repairing the fiberglass is not a good solution and recommends covering the fiberglass with a new rubber roof (cost, about $6,000!). Do any of you have thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thanks!

Alan Cameron
Boise
alanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Go to rv-armor.com and check this company out...

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
I have some surface cracks in my roof as well. The service place I took it to said not to worry about it. If they are deep cracks where water could penetrate than you could put some eternabond tape over the cracks and see what happens. That's what I will do if the cracks seem to be getting worse.
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Any crack in the roof must be regarded seriously because it may leak. It doesn't necessarily mean that it needs an extensive and expensive fiberglass repair. Eternabond tape is an excellent idea. Troweling a 2" wide coating of an elastomeric coating over the crack is another good idea. Once the cracks are dealt with this way, then painting the entire roof with a good roof coating is another great idea. I think there's lots of practical, inexpensive ways of dealing with this. The issue is to prevent roof leaks.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thanks to all for your advice. I visited the RV-Armor site and it looks interesting but I have some concerns. I built a roof over a patio 15 years ago and covered it with an elastomeric roof coating that was painted on in liquid form much like this product. However, it did not last. I have to restore the covering every 4 - 5 years to maintain watertight integrity. For gtony, have you had experience with the RV-armor roofing system? Is it as good as they say? Thanks again to all!
Alan.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a crack about 12 inches long just wher the roof starts to roll over the edge. I put a bead of seif leveling calk on. It has been there about 3 years and I have had no problems. As for the front and rear seams, scrape and dig the old stuff out with a sharp putty knife and reseal with self leveling caulk on the flat part and non self leveling on the rest. Clean the area with mineral spirits before applying the new sealer.
I did both ends in about a half day.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
I have a crack about 12 inches long just wher the roof starts to roll over the edge. I put a bead of seif leveling calk on. It has been there about 3 years and I have had no problems. As for the front and rear seams, scrape and dig the old stuff out with a sharp putty knife and reseal with self leveling caulk on the flat part and non self leveling on the rest. Clean the area with mineral spirits before applying the new sealer.
I did both ends in about a half day.

Thanks for your input. My crack is also on the radius edge just forward of midship on the passenger side. It has gone through what for us was a very rainy period and I saw no evidence of a leak. It sounds like the repair you describe may do the trick.

Alan Cameron
National Sea Breeze 34L (converted to a 34C)
2008 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #8

I would not put a new rubber roof on your rig. You may want to consider a product from Rhino Eco-Coat. It has a lifetime warranty and requires no annual maintenance. It can also reduce interior temps up to 30 degrees. It is eco-friendly and fire retardant. My roof is a fiberglass roof and I wish I could spring for a replacement. It would be somewhat less than $6000 for sure.

Good luck.
Barb
jettajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #9

I found a small damaged place near the rear corner of my roof the other day, looked like maybe a tree limb or hail stone type damage/crack to the fiberglass roof. I just bought a fiberglass repair kit (Bondo brand) and did the small repair myself. The damaged area was slightly less then then the size of a 50 cent piece and I was able to spray paint the repair area after the fiberglass cured/dried. Not a "body shop perfect" repair but after all it's on the roof and I needed to get it done before more damage was caused by water or it got any bigger.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjan View Post
Thanks to all for your advice. I visited the RV-Armor site and it looks interesting but I have some concerns. I built a roof over a patio 15 years ago and covered it with an elastomeric roof coating that was painted on in liquid form much like this product. However, it did not last. I have to restore the covering every 4 - 5 years to maintain watertight integrity. For gtony, have you had experience with the RV-armor roofing system? Is it as good as they say? Thanks again to all!
Alan.

even with the a TPO or the rubber roof your going to be up there every 1 or too to maintain

if you still want the rubber roofing go on ebay and get it for under 200$ for 40 feet of it but its still going to chock as that they call self cleaning

TPO is the 30 year roofing that i installed on my RV cost more and has to be installed right

but if it was me i would fix it with fiberglass there are some tips to help on YouTube
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Thanks again for all comments. The more I look into this, the more I am leaning toward doing the fiberglas repair.

Alan Cameron
2008 National Sea Breeze 34L (converted to a 34C)
2008 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #12

roof repair

Hope this helps a little. I had Camping World install a Direct T.V. on the roof of my R.V. and they used a rubber polymer that looked surprising similar to one that I have used on several houses that I own. It has worked great and I think it may work for you. It is called Gaco.
rebel510 is offline   Reply With Quote