RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Filling the gas tank

I have a 2004 Sea Breeze LX. I've always had a problem trying to put gas in the tank. The nozzle keeps clicking off. In all the years I've owned this coach, I've only been to one gas station that I didn't have a problem. I've talked to other Sea Breeze owners and they have had the similar problem. Could it be a design flaw or is it something else?

littleahi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Check that the connection between the fill neck and fuel tank isn't kinked or making any sharp bends. Also check that the vent line isn't kinked or blocked. The auto shut off is triggered by fuel backing into the nozzle and this pressure shuts off the flow. Fuel is backing up in your fill neck, either because of a flow restriction in the fill neck or a faulty tank vent.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
My 05 Dolphin had the same problem. The metal fuel filler assembly is connected to 2
metal pipes that run to the fuel tank with a main fuel filler hose and a smaller vent hose.
In my case, the factory put in both sections of hose that where slightly too long. The vent hose was slightly kinked because it was too long and the large hose was too long causing the entire metal filler assemble to be mounted incorrectly, resulting in its' angle making it difficult to insert the gas station fueling nozzle. Cutting a short section out of both hoses solved both problems and the fuel filler assembly was re-positioned at the correct angle and a smoothly routed vent hose. Also, the vent pipe and hose should not turn down or have a low point for fuel to be "trapped", it should run or be positioned a bit above the main fuel pipe and hose.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
My 05 Dolphin had the same problem. The metal fuel filler assembly is connected to 2
metal pipes that run to the fuel tank with a main fuel filler hose and a smaller vent hose.
In my case, the factory put in both sections of hose that where slightly too long. The vent hose was slightly kinked because it was too long and the large hose was too long causing the entire metal filler assemble to be mounted incorrectly, resulting in its' angle making it difficult to insert the gas station fueling nozzle. Cutting a short section out of both hoses solved both problems and the fuel filler assembly was re-positioned at the correct angle and a smoothly routed vent hose. Also, the vent pipe and hose should not turn down or have a low point for fuel to be "trapped", it should run or be positioned a bit above the main fuel pipe and hose.
X2 That's normally the cause of not being able to get fuel in the tank.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:35 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post

My 05 Dolphin too can be a problem filling. I haven't spent a lot of time looking into it but I have looked at it briefly and I did notice the slope isn't much and is also very long. The vent hose didn't seem obviously abnormal but hearing you success I will check it out further.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, gas