RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fixing the undersink draft ... anyone?

I'm wondering if anyone has taken on the task of "fixing" the draft that comes from under the sink in the galley slideout?

The weather has been decent today, so I've been working on a few odds and ends, and decided to take the false panels off the undersink area to see if I could locate where the cold draft comes from. It took about 2 seconds after pulling the panel off to find it.

There is a large cutout in the floor where the plumbing and electric comes up from underneath. In our case, there isn't any insulation, seal or anything around the cutout. For the most part, it does not appear that the plumbing lines or anything else moves with the slide ... although the loosely hanging wires in the black wireloom, do move a little when the slide is coming in or out.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has tackled this issue ... as it would be great to eliminate the cold air draft that comes up from there. Probably should have been a winter project, as it might have saved us on some propane and electric costs this winter

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #2

I think you should first determine what path the draft takes. Is that a cutout on the left side of the picture? Basically, a draft can't happen if there is no path for it to take, so sealing off the path is important. In addition to the draft, you could insulate the area with pink insulation from Home Depot or Lowes. That would keep heat loss down, improving it even more than just fixing the draft.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I think you should first determine what path the draft takes. Is that a cutout on the left side of the picture? Basically, a draft can't happen if there is no path for it to take, so sealing off the path is important. In addition to the draft, you could insulate the area with pink insulation from Home Depot or Lowes. That would keep heat loss down, improving it even more than just fixing the draft.
Yes I agree ... It is more of a radiated cold than a "breezy" draft. I'm sure some of it is coming in from where the slideout arms extend as there is a gasket there, but its not completely closed off from the outside.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote