RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Flushing black tank

07 Dolphin
Being new to the job of dumping, I hooked up my fresh water hose to the hose connection that I thought would flush out the black tank completely. But it did not seem to do anything, I did not get any additional water coming out after draining completely and turning on the hose. What am I doing wrong? I guess I could look this up in my manual, but being a man, I thought I'd try you guys first, your more fun!

I also have the same slow draining grey water problem I've read in other threads.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be your check / back flow valve is stuck or installed backwards.

You can save the drawing to your desk top, then you can enlarge it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin04-5342-Flush-1.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	545  

Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check valve

The black water tank check valve is most likely in the bathroom behind a panel located above the toilet. I've heard of these valves being installed backwards from other folks on this forum, so I would check this out first. If the valve is installed properly you will see a volume of water coming out of the tank during the flushing process. In regards to the grey tank draining slowly...most all of them are slow to drain. It's a two inch drain line instead of the four inch line on the black tank. Raising the front of the coach a little bit when you drain the tanks helps some, but it's still kind of slooooooooow.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

My Dolphin had the check valve installed backward. It was turned around and works fine. Simple plumbing task. Mine is located in the bathroom behind the toilet paper holder.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Question Thanks but....

Thanks guys, I see the check valve, but how do I know if it is backwards? The arrow goes from the left side hose to the right, and the left hose is cut lower to accomodate the valve. Can I just switch them and try it next time I'm at a CG??

Thanks in advance! Bill
Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Incomming water should go in to the bottom of the valve. Have another look at the drawing posted earlyer.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #7

This is what I have in my Excel, looks to be the same.

Watts Vacuum Breaker
Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thats it except National used SAN-T-FLUSH by Swan IND. INC.
You may want to remove the valve take it appart and check for a blockage.

http://www.swanindustries.com/catalog/flushing.htm
Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #9

Once you get it flowing, make sure you monitor the activity with the drain valve open.
One of my friends went for a short walk while the drain was closed and returned to find a full toilet bowl and liquid (mostly water?) coming off the roof from the vent pipe. Another got distracted after closing the drain. Apparently his vent got plugged because the pressure split his holding tank. A $500 distraction.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, you use different hoses for different connections, I use a common GREEN hose for the tank flush duties. I do realize this is likely overkill as there is a vacuum breaker and, in my case, a check valve as well in the tank flush but when it comes to back-flow contamination.. Safe is how I like to play it.

Page 2: The tank rinser factory installed is basically junk, you can use it to partially fill the tank (Close the valve for a few mintues) and then open and dump again, This does seem to work.

I installed "The Tornado" (Brand name) and it is a little better, but frankly I don't think it was worth the extra price

That said, The one thing no tank rinser will do properly is clean the sensors off, I have found one, by Valterra (Actually I made mine long before I found theirs) that works I'd have to look it up but it's a wand that you stick down the toilet, feed water to the top and there is a single "Fire hose" type nozzle on the end, this blasts the wall rather well and if you move it around a bit does a 1st rate job.

Another method I once used was the "GEO" method desicribed elsewhere here in the forum. I will give you the SIMPLE verson

Drain and flush tank as you normally do now.

Add 1/2 cup DAWN regular dishwashing liquid (NOT anti-bacterial, the blue kind please)

Add 1/2 cup CALGON water softener, beads or liquid, don't matter

Add 5-6 gallons water

Drive 50-100 miles

Dump

Your sensors WILL read full, for FULL (of soap bubbles) the tank will be, but they will pop leaving you with clean tanks and sensors and a true reading.. For perhaps only the 2nd time since the rig was new
Old 06-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Yikes

Yikes! Thanks for your input. I took the unit apart today and was able to run the garden hose through the inlet side and it run through correctly, I just have to determine what hose is the tank side and which is the fresh water. I guess I could hook up the hose to the outside connection and SLOWLY wait for it to run into a bucket.

Poor buggers who had to work on this stuff before the internet!

Thanks again for all your input!

Bill