RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

Frame and body flex.

Does any have a recommendation on how to stiffen a freightliner frame on a 1999 National Tradewinds 7371. The flex pops the windshield out. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry

JMOULTHROP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Step one: remove front cap.
Step two: check all welds in the front framework and reinforce where cracked welds and weakness is found.
Step three: reinstall front cap.

This is not a simple or cheap procedure. If you use the search box at the top right of the page with the Google logo you'll find other people that have had this problem, but I don't recall National mentioned.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMOULTHROP View Post
Does any have a recommendation on how to stiffen a freightliner frame on a 1999 National Tradewinds 7371. The flex pops the windshield out. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry
Welcome to National RV family
Does it happen when leveling with the jacks?
I don't have the same chassis but my manual says to raise the front a few inches before using the rear jacks to level side to side. The front jacks are connected together and will float when leveling side to side. Have been doing it that way for 10 years never popped a windshield yet.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
It could also be that the front window hole was cut to large. Some have taken the front window out and built up the opening to make it smaller.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #5

frame and body flex

hi
had a double windshield failure in canada driving across uneven road pavement at approx 15mph. cracked and popped both sides.

took out the 65lbs tv, crt type, new shocks and 11000 miles no issues. istalled 32 in vizio

and we do level the front jacks first

good luck
kevin
bkc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
had a winshield problem on our 2001 tradewinds after 5 years. Was 14 years old at that time as we got it used. problem was in the rear not the front. found a support on the rear house portion ( passengerside rear corner support) of the coach had rusted and failed. this caused a domino effect that failed 3 more supports. the flexing coming from the back twisted the box that is the house and broke 2 winshields before it was found. So look at the back before working on the front. the back portion of the house behind the rear wheels is not supported by the frame rails and is held up by these supports in the engine area. the fail sections where welded on the side of very week tubing, If it had been in direct compression it would of held but being welded on the side they ripped the side of the tubing causeing the weekend house structure.
skyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Look at pictures in my post #24 in this thread ---http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/urgent-request-for-help-on-tv-install-308260-2.html

I took the curved curtain rod out and used it as a template to bend some square tubing. then I drilled the tubing and bolted on to a flange that was molded into the cap. After that I tied in a bunch of other metal and built a new cabinet.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoulthrop View Post
does any have a recommendation on how to stiffen a freightliner frame on a 1999 national tradewinds 7371. The flex pops the windshield out. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks
jerry

i have read where some were placing some kind of shim on the framework to support the window before it or the gasket were installed. As like the winshield opening could be molded/cut a little to big to start with. Been long time ago//maybe like 1/8 inch or so, not sure, dont rember that good.
I also put in a small tv and keep the cabinet contents as light as possible. (light bulbs, fuses & hat.)

good luck
Old 09-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc914 View Post
hi
had a double windshield failure in canada driving across uneven road pavement at approx 15mph. cracked and popped both sides.

took out the 65lbs tv, crt type, new shocks and 11000 miles no issues. istalled 32 in vizio

and we do level the front jacks first

good luck
kevin

MY FRONT JACKS WILL NOT "LEVEL" THEY WILL ONLY "RAISE" THE FRONT END. THE REAR JACKS WILL LEVEL SIDE TO SIDE AS THE FRONT 2 ARE PLUMBED TOGETHER WITH A T FITTING. ONCE THE FRONT END IS UP IT "FLOATS" AND THE REAR TILTS WHOLE COACH SIDE TO SIDE. THIS IS TO REDUCE WINDSHIELD STRAIN/FLEX. I ONLY HAVE 3 HYDRAULIC CONTROL VALVES ON MY PUMP 1 FOR THE FRONT JACKS AND 1 FOR RIGHT REAR AND 1 FOR LEFT REAR.

"MINE IS DIIERENT I KNOW"
Old 09-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10EC View Post
MY FRONT JACKS WILL NOT "LEVEL" THEY WILL ONLY "RAISE" THE FRONT END. THE REAR JACKS WILL LEVEL SIDE TO SIDE AS THE FRONT 2 ARE PLUMBED TOGETHER WITH A T FITTING. ONCE THE FRONT END IS UP IT "FLOATS" AND THE REAR TILTS WHOLE COACH SIDE TO SIDE. THIS IS TO REDUCE WINDSHIELD STRAIN/FLEX. I ONLY HAVE 3 HYDRAULIC CONTROL VALVES ON MY PUMP 1 FOR THE FRONT JACKS AND 1 FOR RIGHT REAR AND 1 FOR LEFT REAR.

"MINE IS DIIERENT I KNOW"
Why are you shouting? That's the interpretation when you type in ALL CAPS. It makes it harder to read, too.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Why are you shouting? That's the interpretation when you type in ALL CAPS. It makes it harder to read, too.

i didnt know that.

big letters are easier for me to see on the computer.
thanks
Old 09-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #12

That's OK. I'm hard of hearing, so the caps help.

Tags
frame