Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #1

Freezing Temperature Experience

This is probably an unusual question for most you. We live in the Great White North and have a couple more trips planned before we winterize the MH and put it away for the season.

We have a 1998 Tradewinds 7370. Our current temperatures are around 28 degrees F. at night. I anticipate that temperatures will drop to about 8 degrees F before we winterize.

I know the furnaces heat the water tanks and lines. While storing the MH in the driveway I have the thermosat set to 45 degrees for both front and back furnaces, no problems with freezing so far. I am not using any electric heat as I want the heat underneath more than inside for now.

Now the question, does anyone have experience using Tradewinds in colder temperatures? if so, how cold without problems?

Any other suggestions?

Our season is so short, I don't like to give it up one day sooner than I have to.
Margarittamobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
not your model, but dealt with Nebraska Fall last year, had snow drifted up well over the wheel wells on one side, wide open belly on the other side (was hoping snow would insulate all the way around...) had the thermostat set on 65. One furnace floor ductwork, kept it all nice enough to not freeze, outside air was about -10 cold water coming out of lines was VERY cold and the hot water tank i bumped up a few degrees to compensate. over night i turned on the water lines and let them just barely "dribble" and had the fresh water tank pump on as we had to unhook from the hydrant outside. The motor was annoying but i fixed that this year! All in all we did to the RV what I have had to do every year to my farm house up in nebraska come winter, leave the water run and wake up occasionally to check on it like it was your own child with a cold....

GOOD LUCK, CAN'T BELIEVE YA'LL ARE AT 29 OVER NIGHT! 2 days ago it was 93 during the day and 79 overnight!!! IM SO READY FOR FALL!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We lived in ours for 3 winters in western Oregon. We had some nights down around 20 degrees. We ran the furnaces as needed along with a electric oil filled radiator heater. I also had a 75 watt trouble light going in the water tank compartment and put heat tape on the water hose under foam pipe insulation. On the really cold nights I trickled a faucet after the RV parks pipe froze one night. As long as I kept water in the fresh tank I could still get a shower in the morning, even with the frozen pipe.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We experienced an 11º SD snow storm in '05, I turned on all the compartment lights at night, didn't run the furnaces at night, just an electric unit in the living room. Several days were in the low 20's, we didn't have any problems.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote