RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

Freightliner Turn Signal Flasher

Hello all,
Have had my '96 Dolphin Diesel since 2004 and done lots of upgrades etc but have run across a problem, maybe someone can shed some light on.
All of a sudden my turn signals blink two or three times as fast as they should. I have checkd all the lamps, and wireing that I could trace. The manual says where the flasher is but it is wrong, that is an accessory relay. I have unpluged every relay or flasher thingy and nothing changes.
WHERE IS IT? Anyone ever have a problem simular?
My coach is a '96 Dolphin, Cummins B5.9 Turbo Diesel and Allison 6 speed tranny.
Some background. . . . Two years ago I had an engine problem that overheated the engine compartment and did some damage to the Cruise Control module. If I turn on the C/C and try to set it, it blows the fuse in the brake light circuit. I replaced that 20 amp fuse with a circuit breaker because it was a pain to get to every time the fuse went.
The last time I drove it (March) it blew the turn signal fuse also. I have replaced the fuses and checked the rest, all are good. I have disconnected the C/C so that I don't blow any more fuses, but I still have the flashers not working right.
Sure hope someone can jump in here and guide me in the right direction.
Thanks
Frank

Franknsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Can you get under the steering column and with the ign. switch on-then reach up and move the turn sig. lever? If it blinks once or twice you may be able to hear the flasher unit click in the general area and go from there. You might have to do it a time or two. Do the 4 way flashers operate o.k.? If they do then the wiring to the lights are good. "course you know about the blonde that ran out of "blinker fluid". just kidding...
I used to hunt shorts in autos & trucks.They can really hide the little suckers.
Safe travels...

skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Sorry I forgot to WELCOME you to the Forum...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #4

skipwill
Thanks for the feedback. I have tried listening for the flasher, this one is extreemley quiet. I had the dash open and turned on the bliners but could not hear them. Maybe I will do it again and have my wife listen, she has better hearing than I do.
Good point about the flashers working. They do work fine. So I guess that eliminates the wiring, and I double checked all the lamps even removed the lens covers so I could not be wrong. So that pretty much points to the flasher or relay which ever it is.
When I first turn on the blinker the first blink is normal, then it goes very very fast. I have never heard or seen one react like this so I am stumped.
I will be heading into town tomorrow, I will stop by the Freightliner dealer and see if they can help me. I took pictures of the fuse block that the manual says that the flasher relay is supposed to be mounted in. Maybe they will have an idea. I don't have a lot of faith in some of their techies.
Where does the fluid go in, I didn't see a filler anywhere.:-)
Thanks for the warm welcome.
Frank
Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #5

Found it.
The flasher was hiden behind a 1 x 2 in the back of the doghouse. I finally heard a very light blink and kept tracing it back and found it right behind a piece of wood that made up the rear wall of the dog house. I have a rear diesel but I guess the area is still called the dog house. It is basically the console where we store manuals etc.
Anyway I swamped it with the hazzard flasher (same part number) and confirmed that the flasher was bad.
So after three days of searching, this 5 minute job is done.
Thanks for the feedback.