Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2007, 06:37 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of days ago while hooked up to city water supply and regulated at about 40 psi, We awoke next morning to find a large puddle under the rear area of the MH. I thought a hose inside the water compartment was leaking so I checked that first. Everything in there appeared dry and tight. Then I looked underneath more carefully and saw that the water was coming from the fresh water over flow pipe. I turned off the city water and drained some fresh water to lower tank level. The dripping had stopped.
All the water control valves were in the correct positions.
The fresh water level the night before was just under 1/3 level. So a significant leak from city water to the fresh water tank occured to overflow it during the night.
After completely pumping out the fresh water tank to empty and shutting the pump off, I reconnected city water and watched the fresh water level gage regularly with no re occurrence since then.
I suspect the pump may have had a leaky valve seat that cleaned up by running the pump for 100 gallons.
The 2 way valve to be used for refilling the tank is also suspect.
Has anyone experienced this situation?
Can someone explain how this might occur?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 06:37 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of days ago while hooked up to city water supply and regulated at about 40 psi, We awoke next morning to find a large puddle under the rear area of the MH. I thought a hose inside the water compartment was leaking so I checked that first. Everything in there appeared dry and tight. Then I looked underneath more carefully and saw that the water was coming from the fresh water over flow pipe. I turned off the city water and drained some fresh water to lower tank level. The dripping had stopped.
All the water control valves were in the correct positions.
The fresh water level the night before was just under 1/3 level. So a significant leak from city water to the fresh water tank occured to overflow it during the night.
After completely pumping out the fresh water tank to empty and shutting the pump off, I reconnected city water and watched the fresh water level gage regularly with no re occurrence since then.
I suspect the pump may have had a leaky valve seat that cleaned up by running the pump for 100 gallons.
The 2 way valve to be used for refilling the tank is also suspect.
Has anyone experienced this situation?
Can someone explain how this might occur?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #3

I had a similar situation in my 03 Tropi-Cal. The fresh water tank would fill up on its own accord and the resulting puddle would occur. All levers were in the correct position.

I found that the lever that changes from "City Water" service to "fill fresh water tank" had worked itself loose. If you take off the lever, there is another bolt on the end of the connection that can be tightened with a spanner. This solved the problem.

Hope this helps ...
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks JoeP.
I will check that out and let you know if the same thing occurred
Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #5

I have an 07 Tropi-Cal that had the same problem
I found it to be the pump was back feeding into the fresh water tank. Even when the pump was off. My pump is a Flojet Quad Series if you take the top off of the pump you will see 4 rubber valves on the top of valves is a *** the goes inside of the plastic retainer. The little *** on the one valve was gone. So it let water back feed into the fresh water tank.
Camping World has a repair kit for the Quad Series, it's like $22.00. I was out camping when this happened so I replaced the pump and when I got home I ordered the kit so now I have a space pump.Camping World also sells the Flo-Jet pump for somewhere around $60.00.
Hope this helps
Scott
Miami,FL

https://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/FL/Miami.gif</a>
Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem--It was the check valve built into the pump. (Check my post in NRV service) National in Lakeland , FL changed the pump-----no problems since,
Old 07-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #7

M & EM,
I had this same problem with my 34 ft. Sea View..water filling up my fresh water tank and overflowing onto the ground, as yours is. After taking the panel off and looking at the back of the valve panel, I found that all the valves were connected together. My fresh water valve has a stop. I loosened the screw that holds the handle a couple turns, and just tweaked it past the stop and it took care of the problem. I left it loose and have been using it that way for the last couple years. I just turn the valve handle a fraction past the stop to eliminate the slow leaking into the tank.

I hope one of us has helped you with your problem. I love IRV2 for this reason.

Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all for the responses.
Its been about 5 days since this first occurred with no re occurrences. Perhaps exercising the pump with 100 gallons to pump it all out and exercising the 2 way tank fill valve dislodged what ever it was that allowed the back flows to occur. For now the problem seems alleviated but I will be watching it closely for a while more. The two mentioned sources for this kind of problem make sense. I will check them out when I return home unless they repeat sooner. I carry a spare pump just in case. I also happen to have a spare 2 way valve also being used for now to switch the backflush water between the gray and black tanks.
Marty
Old 08-27-2019, 05:07 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have experienced this on a previous Rv a Monaco. After working of the valve a few times. The problem disappeared for a couple years to return and solved the same way by using the valve a few times it sealed tighter with no problem.
Glamping2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had this problem and put a one way check valve on the output side of the water pump.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #11

Who revives a 12 year old thread?
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Who revives a 12 year old thread?
Glamping2
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote