Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fridge replacement

I have a Tradewinds 7390 LTC with a Dometic 1292 fridge and the cooling system has gone out, again. I've had it 22 months and the warranty company replaced the cooling part. I'm wondering if any of you have changed this one out for a residential fridge instead and what did you use, what did you have to change and did you have to get a new inverter ? It's the 13 cu foot side by side with an ice maker.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #2

Do you want to keep the ice maker option in a replacement , residential ?
Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

I installed a Samsung ref with ice and water in door. I fought the nevercold for years and DW and I love the res ref. you should be able to use your inverter as a Samsung will take mpw current and mine uses about 500 watts. Look for a 32" countertop depth ref and with a little mods on your cabinets will fit nicely.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
There was a post on this a few years ago, I think it was an Islander. The biggest concern he had was that the front furnace was under his fridge and made it a tight fit. If I remember correctly he placed a 1/4" sheet metal plate on top of the furnace and attached wood pieces on each side. It was a Samsung 24" deep. I'll try to search for it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/resid...-177993-9.html

It was in a 2001 Marlin (National) The layout is almost identical to my Tradewinds. Several pages, but he did go with a Samsung 197.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks, You guys are great. A lot better answers here than on RV.net, but then I'm thinking that most of them are thinking that camping season is about over.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
have you found a replacement fridge yet?
I used a Sears Kenmore 70304, 15 cu. ft W/icemaker.
If you send me by private message you phone number or email I will discuss what I did or send photos by email or I can do both.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

We're planning on making the same refrigerator change in our Tradewinds 375 this winter, or maybe sooner. I'm tired of throwing out spoiled food the Dometic 1292 can't keep. The unit is 13 years old anyway, so it's time to be replaced with modern technology (and a residential fridge). We only boondock for weekends and I run the generator the whole time. Post pictures if you would of your change.

Rob
Old 09-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #9

I have a 45-quart Whynter fridge https://goo.gl/WwNjso
Can run on 12 volt (with battery and solar panel ) or AC.
And can be set as refrigerator or freezer.
When boondocking, plug it on the solar panel in sunny days and
to the battery at night.
It has good thermal insulation and cool down quickly
irvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update on the fridge problem. Took it in and they serviced my jacks, which weren't retracting all the way. They also pulled the leveling air dump valve which has been leaking when you go to raise the MH and you have to cycle it a couple of times before it closes all the way. Working great now. The guy that does their fridges retired several months ago and they couldn't get the mobil installer for over a month, soooo, I picked it up and took it home so that I could make an appointment with another place. Turned it on for the heck of it and last night, after 3 hours on electricity, it read 44 in the fridge and 10 in the freezer. T,his AM, it was the same, so I unplugged the MH and turned it on gas and no change and it's even making ice.
Can't go on a trip to check it out on the road as that's where it failed before, but may drive it down to Tacoma tomorrow morning and back to test it.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #11

Bigdog,

I have to ask, have you cleaned the deposits out of the propane burner tube? Over time stuff builds up and reduces the flame to a point where the cooling suffers. Worth looking at.

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:06 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill WA6YBD View Post
Bigdog,

I have to ask, have you cleaned the deposits out of the propane burner tube? Over time stuff builds up and reduces the flame to a point where the cooling suffers. Worth looking at.

~Bill
They are all bright and clean. Went on a trip and it worked fine, came home for two days and then left for the beach. When we got there it was warming up and the next day it was hot, so shut it down and came home. Tried it several times while parked and no go and it was two weeks till I got it to the dealer. It sat there for 1 1/2 weeks and never worked. Brought it home, turned it on and it is still working.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Have a Tech check the circuit cards
Old 09-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
BD:
If the fridge cools down properly then the problem is not the cooling unit.
It has to be in the circuit board or possibly the heat elements on the A/C side, or possibly a bad connection.
When it is running, can you cycle between A/C and Gas with no change in temp?
When it quits, are both the A/C and gas sides dead?
You mentioned heading out and it was running fine and then warmed up. That sounds like you went from A/C at home to gas on the road, then back to A/C at the campground? If you are comfortable that the gas side is not dirty, then that seems like a bad connection on the 12 volt side to me.
The heat elements for the A/C side are in the tower above the gas burner. They are paralleled and plugged into the bottom of the cct board. A volt meter can check their resistance value and determine their condition. All the connections to the cct board plug into it and are easy to check.
We recently had the thrill of experiencing a lightning strike that smoked a few things, including the A/C side of our fridge cct board. The gas side still worked perfectly until I received the replacement and installed it.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fridge, replace, replacement