Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

front TV replacement

If i remove the frame around the current tv at the front of the MH is there a HD size that will fit the hole good. I would like to replace the current analog TV. I have a 2000 tradewinds model 7373. I would like to have the largest size that will fit snuggly. Thanks, Rivrduk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I installed a Viewsonic 24" in our 1999 Tradewinds 7372. If you have a front door then it will be the same. The fit is snug, I had to trim the right side of the cabinet to gat it in. I also built a frame for mounting. The model is VS12335-1M Product numberis VT 2430. It's HD 1920x1080.
I built the VESA mounting into the frame. Very simular to these pictures.
Frame Details - Windows Live
Those pictures are of the frame I made for the TV just prior to the Viewsonic but it's built the same except for the TV mounting holes.
Dick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3435.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	6459  
Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice install. Looks great!!!
Bugzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #4

The frame on mine is not like the one you show on your MH. It does not have the wide boards on the bottom or top. All four sides of the fame has the narrow boards like the side of your frame. The measurement of the TV i assume is the width of the case an not the measurement of the tube. I suppose the hole for the TV is probably the same on both models since the analog TV is probably the same size. I have four screws holding the frame to the cabinet, but they are covered by wood plugs that i will have to remove to get to the screws. One screw at each corner. Do you think what i have will work with your plan? I like the frame you built and it looks really nice. Thanks for this info and am looking forward to your answer to the questions i have posed this time. Thanks, Rivrduk
Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
The wide boards at the top and bottom are part of the frame I made for the install. Because the TV is 16 X 9 wide screen there will be more space at the top and bottom to cover. The cabinet frame is narrow all the way around.
If you have a center door then the dimensions and method of access are different. The panel you can see on the right side of my TV is removable and makes access to the rear of the TV easy. I was able to attach the frame I made from the back using screws and then install the TV in the frame using the VESA mounting holes.
My TV was attached on the bottom with two screws going through the stand of the TV into the cabinet, as well as the four in the frame you mentioned. Also there was a ramp in the bottom of the overhead compartment I removed; it was attached with wood screws as well. Others have taken the opportunity to install insulation in the front cap. Mine had none and was a major source of Heat and cold, whichever I didn't want.

The 24" is the diagonal size of the screen. The outside dimensions, at least from the manual are:

Dimensions Physical
(W) x (H) x (D)
566.7mm x 441.9mm x 211.0mm
22.3’’ x 17.4’’ x 8.3’’
Weight
7.0 kg (15.4 lb)

I think that's with the stand attached and would be shorter with the stand removed, an easy thing to do. In any case it's only the height that changes. The width is the defining dimension as far as fit goes.

The audio on all my TV's seemed a little weak to me so I ran the earphone output down to my radio's AUX input, so my sound comes out the House speakers. Since the DVD plugs into the TV via a HDMI connecter, you can see it in the picture just under the TV in another cabinet I built, that Audio also comes out the house speakers. I'm sure it's my ears that don't work, but I sure had a hard time hearing any of our TV's. I may get run out of a RV Park someday for having it too loud, but so far I haven’t heard anyone complain.

Are your cabinets Maple or Walnut?

Dick
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Measure the outside dimensions of your current TV or width between your cabinets, my bubble tube was a 27", I was able to fit most 32" LCD's between my cabinet doors, so I installed a 32" LG. I had to install trim around top and bottom since the 16x9 HD TV format is not as tall as the 4x3 bubble tube format. I wandered TV stores with my tape measure looking for an LCD that would fit.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #7

Walnut
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Walnut makes it easier. Any cabinet making you choose to do won't require stain. Just two or three coats of clear satin finish, I used Minwax from Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xif/R-100201939/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
It will take about a year for the color of Walnut to stabilize but the natural wood color is perfect after age.

Dick
Old 11-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #9

Did you put the tv inside the present tv hole or did you mount it outside. Did you remove the frame or attach the tv some other way. I am a bit confused, but that is not unusual for me rivrduk
Old 11-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I removed the original frame and chucked it. After removing the old TV I removed the plywood ramp and chucked it along with the TV. Then I built a new frame with VESA mounting attachments and attached the frame with the new TV mounted in it to the cabinet, where the original TV was, with screws going in from the back side so they can't be seen. There is a box below the TV in the picture I made for the DVD player, but that's another story.

Dick
Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #11

Do a search on "TV replacement" or "replace TV" in the forum search area and you will find plenty of projects and pictures to give you ideas.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #12

How do you recommend mounting the tv - with wall mount or full motion?

We have a 2000 Sea View and the front is angled. The previous TV was angled down. I bought a full motion wall mount thinking this would be best, but I am wondering if doing a wall mount would be better.

Should we keep the TV angled - it is a 22" LCD. It will have to be right up in the front because if we put it inside the framing any (except for right against it) we loose part of the screen when viewing from the side.

right now we have it set on stuff and it is fine. I read someone else does that and then sets it on the bed while traveling. That is an option and then we could move the satellite receiver to the middle where it would not be so crowded and get more air.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
When I built in my bedroom TV replacement I had to angle it down so the view would be useable from the bed. Here are a couple pictures. A real challenge for the woodworking.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1812.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	6562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1810.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	6563  

Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #14

How did you get to the mounting frame in back of the TV. Did you remove the cloth covered panel to the right of the TV, if so how did you go about it. Is it screwed on or by staples or what. Does it just pry off. Are the boards inside the tv hole thick enough to support a tv? I want to change mine, but i am so afraid of messing it up to where it will not look very good. Thanks, Rivrduk