RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #1

In the last year the front driver's side windshield (99 Tradewinds) has cracked at the top where the front curves back to the side. The first resulted from a panic stop when an idiot cut me off as he was entering the freeway. The glass installer said the frame torqued/twisted during the stop. The second was when I pulled into a fuel station from a crowned road into the driveway, but I was going easy. The glass installer again blamed frame torque. This last time was on the first trip with the new windshield. I was making a slow right hand turn level street to another level street. I was so careful I am sure there was no frame torque this time. A friend told me he has heard of the front cap slipping and stressing the windshield. Has anyone else had a similar problem and/or hear of slippage in the front cap? Where would someone go to have that evaluated?

bobnann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #2

bobnann,
We've had two National RVs and have had to replace the windshields in both. Our first was a 34-ft Sea View. I had a discussion with the windshield manufacturer in Oregon, and was told that windshield stress cracks was a critical problem with National motor homes up until the year 2002. He said his records showed they had replaced a windshield in one 2000 Tradewinds seven times. He also told me that windshield replacements decreased dramatically after 2002. It seems that this was a manufacturing defect.

I also had to replace a windshield in our 2001 Tradewinds and was told by the glass manufacturer that they would not warranty the new windshield against stress cracks. Consequently, I bought add-on glass coverage through my insurance with $100 deductible that would not affect our rate due to a glass claim. I think the cost is about $95 annually.

I hope this helps in understanding the problem.
Aside from that problem, we loved both our National RVs and feel their quality is outstanding.

Larry

Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #3

99 Tradewinds: I also just had the same crack in left front. Sounds like the insurance may be a good idea as this may be a continuing problem
Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #4

have had a similar incident with our 2001 tradewindsLTC. However I discovered that the glass company installer(a major nationalco.) had used butyl rubber glue to install the windshield in the rubber seal. This is the type of glue that is used to glue current auto windshields inplace. It should not be used, in my opinion, on RV's with fiberglass front caps due to the normal flexing and movement. This movement does not occur in an automobile installation. I told the installer to use only black RTV sealant and all has be fine for the last year. The butyl rubber glue is VERY ridged and will not allow the winshield to move when the body flexes, thus resulting in stress cracks in the widshield.
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #5

I have a 2000 TradewindsThe windshield does not stay in place.I can shift it into place by raising the rear jacks and wracking the body.I reset it and as soon as i drive it shifts back. I have decided to live with it.I seal the spaces with wide tape to eliminate wind noise and ignore it.I thought of gluing it but am afraid it may cause worse cracks.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #6

Just had the passenger side windshield crack vertically along the curved section while going over an uneven dirt campsite on our last trip. Crack seems to go through the glass but not through the inner laminate. (can't feel the crack from the inside.)
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should get your windshields fixed before someone gets hurt from shattered glass.
State inspections in some states will not pass on your inspection sticker.
Had a chip it my windshield end of last summer my insurance paid for a new windshield for my Newmar.
A good glass company will look over your problem and set it in place with a new rubber, and correct size windshield, that will hold it in place so you can pass your inspection.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote