Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Fuel problem

I have a 1994 National Seabreeze 131 with fuel problems. I let the gas sit in it for about a year and it now stalls after about 10 minutes of driving. I have tried all the treatments to remove water and then emptied the tank and ran a straight line of gas to it and it is still not staying running ...so frustrated
cunsworth62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think I would replace the fuel filter and check the entire air intake and air filter for any critters and nests. The engine can stall for lack of air as well as fuel.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Boiles down to spark, air or fuel. Try the fuel filter first, but it may be the fuel pump. I hope not, because that probably will require dropping the tank. About $500 for a DIY job, or $1,500 if the shop does it.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

The stalling would not be caused by the year old fuel. It could cause a check engine light with lean codes or possible rough idling but not stalling after driving for 10 minutes.

The fuel filter is also not on the suspect list. A plugged fuel filter would start out as low power on hard acceleration due to low fuel pressure on accel. At most, it would cause complete lack of power on accel where you cannot get up to speed. However this would not be related to driving 10 minutes and then shut down.

Fuel pump could cause this. It will help to monitor fuel pressure when the problem does not occur and then occurs. If pressure does not change out of the normal driving pressures, suspect the pump is ok. If it drops significantly and then the engine stalls, a fuel pump or wiring issue would be suspect.

Anything else you will need a scan tool to monitor the sensors and check for codes to help determine what route to go. Or take it to a dealership for accurate diagnosis.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A clogged filter will cause power loss on higher demand as the fuel can't get through it at the rate the dermand calls for.. change the filter its the least $$ to try
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
A clogged filter will cause power loss on higher demand as the fuel can't get through it at the rate the dermand calls for.. change the filter its the least $$ to try
But it will not cause an engine to shut down after 10 minutes of driving without any other symptoms. Yes it will have a lack of power like I already explained but not cause the engine to shut down after 10 minutes of driving.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I's happened to me

I got a tank of fuel with rust in it once and it's did exactly what you describe. I went through several filters in a couple of weeks.

Another thing that will do that is a clogged catalytic converter. That happened to us as well. Feels exactly like fuel starvation. If that coach has a 90's Ford 460 they're well known for killing cats.

Good luck!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I got a tank of fuel with rust in it once and it's did exactly what you describe. I went through several filters in a couple of weeks.

Another thing that will do that is a clogged catalytic converter. That happened to us as well. Feels exactly like fuel starvation. If that coach has a 90's Ford 460 they're well known for killing cats.

Good luck!

There would have been other symptoms if you had multiple filters clog up. It would start off as low power when accelerating. But stalling when driving if you had normal power, would not be a filter issue. If you also had multiple clogged filters on a Ford chassis, the fuel pump pick up sock would need to be changed at least. This is the first line of defense for fuel tank debris.

Plugged fuel filters cannot cause intermittent concerns. Once they are plugged, they remain plugged.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Um,

Did you think I made that up?

That's exactly what happened to us. Regardless of what the 'experts' had to say about it is was visible chunks of rust clogging up the frame mounted filter. Stop the flow of fuel and the rust would settle to the bottom of the filter and it would run again for a few minutes.

'Experts':
The experts mis-diagnosed a leaking intake manifold as a transmission failure and cost me thousands that I never recoverd. I don't trust experts very much.

We were lucky when our first catalytic converter died and clogged. A tow truck driver in Grants Pass Or had seen dozens of them do the same. He towed us to the Ford dealership and told them what was wrong before he even dropped it.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Did you think I made that up?

That's exactly what happened to us. Regardless of what the 'experts' had to say about it is was visible chunks of rust clogging up the frame mounted filter. Stop the flow of fuel and the rust would settle to the bottom of the filter and it would run again for a few minutes.

'Experts':
The experts mis-diagnosed a leaking intake manifold as a transmission failure and cost me thousands that I never recoverd. I don't trust experts very much.

We were lucky when our first catalytic converter died and clogged. A tow truck driver in Grants Pass Or had seen dozens of them do the same. He towed us to the Ford dealership and told them what was wrong before he even dropped it.

So the root cause was rust in the tank. A full tank cleaning and new fuel pump was what repaired the vehicle and multiple fuel filters were replaced due to lack of proper diagnosis. This can be diagnosed easily by monitoring fuel pressure under WOT when the most fuel is needed at the top of the RPM range. Im willing to bet the fuel pump was over working and loosing its ability to maintain proper pressure under the restriction. An engine can idle at 5-10 PSI of fuel pressure. It will not accelerate very well though, and possible stall when the tried to accel.

A catalytic converter can cause similar symptoms though. They are typically easy to diag because of the distinct engine sounds and very hot exhaust. A simple gauge in the O2 sensor bung will tell if the converter is plugged.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:

'Experts':

For the "experts" to go after a transmission issue, I suspect they were going after a concern where the transmission was not shifting properly. Unfortunately I see this way to much where a lack of power concern is misdiagnosed to the transmission. After the overhaul or replacement, the concerns are still there. That's because either the slightly low fuel pressure or plugged converter is causing a lack of power concern that is being misdiagnosed. The transmission is commanded to shift based on calculated engine load. If the power is not there, the load calculation will not be correct. This causes shift concerns, however the transmission is not at fault and is just part of the symptoms.

I have seen partially plugged fuel filters, MAF, air filters, and EGR valves cause shift concerns where the transmission was "determined" to be at fault only to still have the same symptoms after the overhaul.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whatever

There was no in tank filter to change. My wife's cousin, a Ford mechanic with 20 years of experience put 'something' in the tank to settle the rust to the bottom & keep it there. I bought all the filters they had and made it from Colorado home with a couple of them to spare.

Unsubscribed from this thread. Done defending myself.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #13

Quote:
There was no in tank filter to change. My wife's cousin, a Ford mechanic with 20 years of experience put 'something' in the tank to settle the rust to the bottom & keep it there. I bought all the filters they had and made it from Colorado home with a couple of them to spare.

Unsubscribed from this thread. Done defending myself.
The pump has an attached sock to prefilter any intank contaminates.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fuel pump.pdf (108.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #14

Fuel problem

Hi everyone...thank you for all that responded! I will try a new fuel filter first and see what happens....hope it is not the fuel pump
cunsworth62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel