RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #1

Gas Heat Question

As you can see below we have a ’05 Dolphin and I have what may be a really dumb question. We have not winterizes our coach as I will be using it again in January. Our weather is dropping to the mid 20’s this week. My question… would it be safe and all right to set the gas heat on 35 or 40 degrees as a preventative from freezing? Is this any different than dry camping with heat? Our coach is under cover with half sides, for now we just have a 110 line running the refrigerator. Any pro or con replies will be greatly appreciated.

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I don't see why it will not work. I would also run shore power to the converter to keep the 12 volt system charged up. The gas heaters fan motor runs on 12 volts. Make sure that your underbelly is also getting heat when your gas heater is running. You may want to pour some RV antifreeze in the grey and black tank to protect the outside drain piping and valves.

Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Do you have an electric heater you can use instead? Would save using your propane. We've found the gas furnace really sucks the propane level down quickly.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not run 120v to your RV? You can use both propane and electric heater.

Consider running a 75watt drop light into your wet bay to protect your water pump and some other piping. Pretty good chance your propane furnace ducting will also provide some heat to your tank areas.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

Not winterizing your unit when the temperatures drop below freezing, is just a gamble with your plumbing. Just ask yourself......can you be guaranteed that ALL of the water tamks, lines and connections won't freeze? RV lines are smaller and basically made of plastic....compared to home plumbing. If freezing is long enough and hard enough, you run the risk of water freezingm and creating water leaks down the line. Can you get at every inch of waterline if a leak developes? Sometimes visible water puddles can be quite a distance from the source.

It's your choice to winterize or not. Good luck.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

The lowest my thermostat can be set is 62. It is a remote control unit that controls heat pump, A/C and gas furnace.
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just my opinion but, if you're going out in January, just turn on the heat and keep an eye on it for a day or two or three. Anything that will freeze during normal use will need to be addressed anyway.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I keep my heater set at 50 degrees during the winter. I installed the Cheap Heat System that hooks in front of the Gas heater. I have the 5000 watt system and it is wired 240 volts through a 30 amp disconnect. I have my camper plugged in at the house when ever it sits. I piped an extra 4 inch duct into my underbelly to keep everything heated. This is my third year with the Cheap Heat System working. Check it out at rvcomfortsystems.com, I beleive they offer it in 1600, 2750 & 5000 watt systems. The 1600 & 2750 work for the 30k amp campers service. I have a 50 amp camper service to my camper. You may want to get an electrician to run a 30 amp service for your camper to supply the needed electricity the RV will need to run everything while it is parked at the house. The Cheap Heat System runs off your existing gas unit using the same 12 volt blower motor. With the flip of a switch it goes from heating on gas to electric. I love this system and it keeps my camper evenly heated. Even the floor is warmer due to the extra duct in the basement pretty neat. Merry Christmas nd a Happy New Year!!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #9

pretty expensive electric heater!
dros_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you like to gamble. It is easy enough to do a quick winterization by draining the lines, tanks, water heater and fill the traps with antifreeze.

Ken
Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your motorhome has a heater duct that heats the holding tank area when the gas heater is on so using just an electric heater alone will not keep the holding tank area warm. As Scooter mentioned above, a drop light in the area where your black and grey water gate valves are will help also. Just drain the water from your lines by opening the outside water faucet (this is your low water point) and opening the inside faucets and you should be fine. Like Paw John said, plug into shore power because your gas furnace takes 12 volts to run. We've had cold snaps where I live where the temperature dipped into the 20's and the above worked for me.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Sounds like you like to gamble. It is easy enough to do a quick winterization by draining the lines, tanks, water heater and fill the traps with antifreeze.

Ken
X2!
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Commercial Member

dros_d

It may look expensive but if you figure the cost of this upgrade over the life of the camper it is not that costly. Theres also the resale value if you ever sell the camper in the future. I spent about $ 600.00 dollars on my Cheap Heat System upgrade and in three years I never had to refill my two 40 lbs. propane bottles yet. I only use my gas to work my icebox while in transportation and to cook with while camping. I feel that upgrades as such will increase the value of my camper and I have a better heating system. You know that any upgrades that one can perform on a camper is never cheap but if you think of it as the use you will get out of it for the length of time you will keep that unit it will pay for itself. I feel that this system will be part of new camper install from the factory in a few years down the road. Just think how cheap that will be if they install it during the build. If anybody would like to know how this system works go to rvcomfortsystems.com and watch the videos online. Merry Christmas and. Happy New Years.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #14

Thank you for all your replies. Lots of good info included. Not a gambler at all when it comes to my things, if I were I would not have asked for your expertise on this subject. Normally this time of year our weather is well above freezing and only goes below freezing for a few hours at night occasionally. This week we had an early cold even though the temp was not as low as expected I took your popular opinion and drained the lines, drained the hot water tank, opened all the valves and added antifreeze to the drain lines.

Thanks again for your input you are the best.

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas