Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Gas Mileage

I'd like to know the average gas mileage of an 07 Dolphin with the Workhorse chassis. A recent trip in our is calculating to a tad over 5 mpg, which doesn't seem correct. The AC has been on most of the trip.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

you didn't say what engine you have,but I had a 37ft MH with the V10 in it and averaged around 6-8 mpg,now I have a 37ft MH with the 8.1L and average 7-9 mpg. It all depends on how heavy your foot is and what you are towing and road conditions. so I would assume your mileage is is about average. you can get a performance chip put in it that will help.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

It's a V8 GM engine. I should also note it's a gas engine.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How fast were you driving? Have you checked your tire pressures? Were you driving into a head wind? Were you pulling a lot of hills? Have you had the engine tuned? You already said you were running the air. All of these things will affect your mileage.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
As was stated, there are so many variables. I always try to remember I am driving a one bedroom one bath condo around. I checked my milage when we first got the MH in 2005 and haven't check it since, it was about 7mpg. Now I just fill it up when it's low and don't worry about it. Enjoy yourself and this beautiful country we have.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
One thing we do is not run the dash A/C. The main reason is it causes the fan clutch to engage too often and I don't like the noise. If we start in the morning when it's cool I will turn the dash control to vent and that will keep us cool until mid morning and then I'll start the gen and run the basement A/C. I set the basement A/C to on and 73F with the gen off so we don't have to stop to start the A/C. When we start the gen, the A/C just comes on when it gets 110VAC. I also installed a ball valve on the inlet to the heater core that I shut off to keep the hot water from flowing through the heater. Many posts here about how much heat is put out by the heater even when you have the temp control on the dash turned all the way to cool. Having the shut off valve really makes a difference. Using the gen probably uses more gas than the dash A/C but that's the trade off we prefer.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive at 62mph, that seems to be the sweet spot for my unit. I average 7-9 mpg. Variables like wind, towing, hills etc. alter that, sometimes dramatically. Don't over think it.....enjoy your motorhome.
fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2300RPM is the best cruising speed for the 8.1 chevy engine. This is about 62-63MPH. My 36ft. 05 Dolphin get right at 8mpg.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with previous. Due to the size of RV tanks and how the filler hose is routed and the length of them, it can really be a pain to top them off the same every time.

The pump will shut off when I have 15 gals left. It then takes more time to fill it from there than the previous 50 gals. So if you want accurate mileage, you must fill it to the same level each time during testing.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm also on a W24 WH, 8.1 and a 5 speed allison. 7.5 - 8.5 towing the jeep doesn't seem to change the mpg at all.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
best ever was 9.5 tucson to dallas. western states n az to wa n back 8.5. 2000 rpm in 6th gear at 60 mph towing the saturn.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I started towing a toad and slowed down to 55-60 mph, I went from an average of 6.9 mpg to 7.9. Was always in a hurry to get where we were going before, we still get there just a few minutes later. More relaxed and see a lot more along the way.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I drive a 36' with the early 275hp V-10 Ford. I travel with a buddy who drives a 30' 8.1 V-8 Chev. Were almost exclusivly driving in the mountains,( coastal range and Rockies ). We stop together for fuel, top our tanks right up, and are always within $10 of each other.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
How fast were you driving? Have you checked your tire pressures? Were you driving into a head wind? Were you pulling a lot of hills? Have you had the engine tuned? You already said you were running the air. All of these things will affect your mileage.
I understand that there are many factors to the mpg. I was just trying to get an average from others. This was our first big trip in the Dolphin and I had no idea what kind of mileage to expect. Thanks for all the responses.