Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #1

Gas Struts Too Long?

We recently picked up a 2003 Dolphin. One of the gas struts on a cargo door under one of the slides came off. Come to find out it was a 20" strut restricted to 16" with a cable. I checked all the doors under the slides and they're all like that. In fact, 20" struts are on all the doors, under the slides or not but the under slide doors have a cable to limit the upward travel. So my main question is, are these factory struts or did someone change them at some time and make up the limiting cables?

I found some 17" struts that I'll shorten to 16" but it looks like I have to do all of the under-slide ones. I won't need the limiting cables after that although I'll leave them on since they're there already.
rgand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rgand

I just replaced all of the gas springs on my Tradewinds' compartments.
The full-size doors with 20-inch gas spring replacements and the smaller under slide doors with 15-inch 40# gas springs. All but one of the gas springs under the slide were missing except one and it was a non-functional 15-inch. The new 15-inch springs work perfect and the door stops before getting in the way of the slide without any cable or stop other than the gas spring.

I also got a great price on all the gas springs from RVUpgrades.com

Now I've just ordered another gas spring and the mounting parts to restore the one missing from the entrance door.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my previous 2002 Dolphin 5355 the struts on the slide compartment doors had the same wire cables to limit travel, so I would say that's the way they came from National. Why I don't know.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The limiting cables came from National. If the slides are in you can undo the cables to get easier access to the cargo area if needed. Just remember to put them back on.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
The limiting cables came from National. If the slides are in you can undo the cables to get easier access to the cargo area if needed. Just remember to put them back on.
That's an interesting idea. I'll have to go try that. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 05 Dolphin the struts under the slides stop at half way up and if the slides are in you can pull up on them and they will go the rest of the way up.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
There are no cables on our 02 Breeze.

2002 National Sea Breeze LX 8341
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKStall View Post
rgand

I just replaced all of the gas springs on my Tradewinds' compartments.
The full-size doors with 20-inch gas spring replacements and the smaller under slide doors with 15-inch 40# gas springs. All but one of the gas springs under the slide were missing except one and it was a non-functional 15-inch. The new 15-inch springs work perfect and the door stops before getting in the way of the slide without any cable or stop other than the gas spring.

I also got a great price on all the gas springs from RVUpgrades.com

Now I've just ordered another gas spring and the mounting parts to restore the one missing from the entrance door.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my '99 Tradewinds 7371 is missing the strut from the entry door. I did notice a ball under the door for a connection, but nothing else. Is this strut a standard strut like what holds the bay doors open, or something for "severe duty"? What size is it?

Dale
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
On my 05 Dolphin the struts under the slides stop at half way up and if the slides are in you can pull up on them and they will go the rest of the way up.
Now this is the way it should be. What kind of struts are those? I'd like to change over to them.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my '99 Tradewinds 7371 is missing the strut from the entry door. I did notice a ball under the door for a connection, but nothing else. Is this strut a standard strut like what holds the bay doors open, or something for "severe duty"? What size is it?

Dale
I haven't seen a strut on an entry door before. Everything we've had has a clip on the outside of the door to hold it all the way open against the coach. No strut, though. Maybe someone else will know the story.

Tags
gas