Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
GE Microwave Toasted

My turn to ask for help.
We took a power spike last evening and toasted the GE Microwave/Convection oven, smoke rolling out the top grill and everything on the unit dead. I am tending to believe the transformer was probably the victim.
Needless to say I have lost complete faith in my year old TRC SurgeGuard, that tripped by not in time. We also lost the Select Comfort air pump and a small weather instrument transformer, just thankful the remaining electronic items are fine.
Thoughts on what microwave items are the first to go on power surges?
Thanks
Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #2

Hi Fred,

Sorry to hear about your microwave failure. In Mach 2010 we purchased our used 2005 Dolphin. It came with a dead GE microwave. After doing some research I found some information about a fuse that is located on the top of the microwave. After removing the the unit and taking it apart I found the fuse. It might have been possible to get to the fuse by removing the front panel. The front panel will come off without removing the microwave and you can get to the main circuit board. One of the screws is difficult to get to but it is possible. Anyway, in my case the fuse was fine. I discovered the primary to the transformer on the control board was open. This particular transformer has 3 secondary windings. All the secondary windings were good just no primary. I attempted to figure out the all the secondary voltages and finally gave up. I went on the internet and found a GE parts house and ordered a replacement board. It cost $125.00 for the board. I searched for a replacement transformer but could not get anywhere with GE and without any information on the output voltages I decided to get the new board. The unit came back to life and all is good. I was not too happy that I could not find just the transformer but settled for saving the cost of a new microwave. If you have an ohm meter check the transformer.

Good luck ~ Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are surge protectors and spike protectors..... Most of the "power strips" that have like six outlets and are labeled surge guards are really spike guards.. These can take a momentary (less than 1/120th of a second) spike and clip it nicely... But a surge, which may last for severaly 10ths of a second, perhaps several seconds.. Will cause them to sound like a firecracker.

A true surge guard (Power line guardian) will tackle the surge, by disconnecting you from power, but not the spike.

Most power line guardians like the Progressive "Surge Guard" do both surge and spike protection, but the spike protection wears out,,, It can be replaced.

NOTE: The microwave in my rig is a Dometic, was made by LG and I've never been Lucky enough for a GOLDSTAR product to work right.

I replaced the turntable motor with one from a GE and it now works great.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
OK, after reading this I'm somewhat confused about the protection from surge guards. I was thinking of buying the progressive that has high and low power protection, but after reading these posts it appears that it won't really protect you. So, my question is, do you really need one and will it protect your electrical equipment in the RV or is it all hype??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
OK, after reading this I'm somewhat confused about the protection from surge guards. I was thinking of buying the progressive that has high and low power protection, but after reading these posts it appears that it won't really protect you. So, my question is, do you really need one and will it protect your electrical equipment in the RV or is it all hype??
Joe you really need a unit protects against high/low voltages and spikes. I have a TRC SurgeGuard which should have protected me but, didn't. I received another posting that suggested that if a power pedistal experiences an open neutral, these devices will not save you. I was traveling today, so I haven't had a change to talk with the mfg. Two products that are marketed a full protection are:

EMS-PT50C

50A Portable | Technology Research Corporation

I noticed my TRC unit should have protected me against an open neutral--so I don't know what went wrong.

I have gained a fast knowledge of microwave ovens--seems a lot less complicated that most electronics. We will be in our winter location in Nov, so that's one more item on the "To Do" list.

Thanks all for your info.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
we have a 2000 dolphin and replaced micro/concection oven just 3 weeks ago. we replaced it with the same GE that came out of it. Sears had them on sale for $389

Took less than 45 minutes to change.

of course i didn't look for a fuse....didn't even know it had a fuse till today. Oh-well
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
My microwave died this past August, it is a 1/2 Time Oven By Appolo. I found the Thermal Diodo had failled. It is the first electronic part that power comes to from the plug. Found one in an electronic supply store for $2. I bought 2. Took longer to open it up & find a store who had one in the St Louis area than it did to fix it. But all is well now. I found it was failed with an OHM meter. I don't know if there was any smoke when it failled, I was not here when it failled.