Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #15

Progress but...NOT. I found two screws holding the grill. They went in vertically on top and behind the grill. Fortunaely I have a 90deg Phillips screwdriver. Still don't see a light bulb so removed more screws and a small metal plate in left front behind the grill. This looked like a possibility because of a bunch of wires disappearing into that area. I still cannot even find a light bulb. I think I see a large fan in the top of the microwave but NO LIGHT or even a screw which might reveal a light. I'm hoping someone with my exact microwave will see this post and offer an answer because I don't know where to go from here. I'm just frustrated enough to buy a new micro which is better engineered so I don't have to go thru this again!

Hey Dick, when did you replace your microwave? Did you do it yourself? How involved? Obviously, the people who engineered it gave you easy access to the bulb.

Next??
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Jim

I replaced it myself in Sept. of 2011 with a GE model JVM 1790 which has a turn table and larger capacity, and BTW the only model available at the time. One problem I had was the hinge on the door is not the same and without a filler in the back to make it stand proud in the front the door would hit the cabinet. This is only true on the models with the kitchen in the slide like ours. It wasn't real hard and didn't affect function at all. I did have to rework the two screws that go down inside the top to hold it up, but it became obvious from the get go. If you do this be careful when you remove the old one, it will hinge down and break the mirrors on the backsplash.

DW likes the new one a lot better. Besides the turntable and the ability to put two dinner plates in for warming, she says the convection mode is a lot better for baking.

Here are some pictures of the install and the filler. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...057%211736&v=3

And also some pictures of the new backsplash.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...057%211715&v=3

Dick
Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #17

Thanks Dick for that info! Coincidentally, I just spoke with a lady down the road who's Spacemaker must be removed to change the bulb. Had I known that was a possibility I'd have never gone down this road. I'll do without the bulb instead. And if I replace the unit at some point I'll have someone do it. As simple as you make it sound, my skills are limited and reserved for much simpler jobs. It's taken 70 years for me to finally accept that. So for now I'll try and get all these parts back together and be done with it. Just getting it back to the way it was will be an accomplishment for me. STILL I just can't imagine making this oven and requiring removal to change a &$%$@#G light bulb!

Jim
Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #18

The light bulb has been replaced and I just want to thank all who chimed in....I couldn't have done this without all the help! After Dick's last post above I went to IRV>Class A>RV Systems & Appliances. I got a little more help and here's the link to that post if anyone's interested. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/micro...ht-185343.html

Jim
Old 12-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My GE Profile has to be removed from the wall. The outter sheetmetal cover removed and then you get access to the bulb. Now that's some kind of engineering. I lived without the bulb for a few years until I had to replace the thermister recently. It was a good time to replace the bulb.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
My GE Profile has to be removed from the wall. The outter sheetmetal cover removed and then you get access to the bulb. Now that's some kind of engineering. I lived without the bulb for a few years until I had to replace the thermister recently. It was a good time to replace the bulb.
Yep, ours was replaced with a new unit, power surge, but that's another story.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote